Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
antbruce001  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2018 14:19:18(UTC)
antbruce001

All,

Are annual / biannual examinations by a suitably competent person (third party);

a) a legal requirement under RR(FS)O - (I believe not)

b) a requirement for BAFE certification?

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2018 15:02:16(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Article 17 of the Fire safety order says” Where necessary in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons the responsible person must ensure that the premises and any facilities, equipment and devices provided in respect of the premises under this Order … are subject to a suitable system of maintenance and are maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.”

So yes they need to be maintained etc but how often is upto you- risk assessment and all of that.

I thought that BAFE is the registration body for certified fire protection companies. The certificate was for the companies providing the service not for the end users.

BAFE companies provide:

• Fire Risk Assessments
  • Maintenance services for fire extinguishers
  • Installation and maintenance of  fire detection and alarm systems
  • Installation and maintenance of  emergency lighting
antbruce001  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2018 15:11:56(UTC)
antbruce001

You are quite right about BAFE. However, for a company to be BAFE registered for FRA there are minimum requirements regarding what is specifcally assessed and if found deficient then actions/recommendations raised.

Based on the this, the question is better phrased as;

"Under a BAFE compliant Fire Risk Assessment, would a lack of third party* independent examination of fire doors within the last 12 months result in a non-compliance that would be actioned?"

* or specifcally trained internal employee

It is accepted that internal checks on fire doors monthly is a given.

Invictus  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2018 07:50:32(UTC)
Invictus

You don't need to have them completed by a third party although it is recommended that you have any repaire etc completed by a 3rd party certificated company even on saying thyat do not assume that because they are certified by FIRAS that they complete the job to a high standard. I sign off all our doors and out of 11 they fitted 10 where poor. I contacted FIRAS who removed there certification until the job was completed satisfactorly.

It is up to the company have the work completed to ensure the competency of the thrid party installer.

Clark34486  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2018 09:00:39(UTC)
Clark34486

With the appropriate competency why outsource to a third party? the inspection is fairly straight forward given the right tools (appropriate training, checksheets etc.)

Remedial repairs is another matter, fire doors are so important to compartmentalisation that this certainly should be carried out by 'experts' (I don't like that term but for want of a better one....)

Edited by user 13 February 2018 09:28:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Invictus  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2018 09:24:39(UTC)
Invictus

This is a good place to start in my opinion http://www.bwfcertifire.org.uk/publications