Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Danslow  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2018 11:39:44(UTC)
Danslow

Good morning all,

I've a quetsion that hopefully will be answered by someone here with greater expereince that me.

Can operatives work close to the edge of a 6 degree pitched roof harnessed to a MEWP (cherry Picker basket).  I beleive not! but i'm struggling to find something to justify me saying so.  I've looked through HSG33 and INDG284 etc. 

If i'm wrong i'm more than happy to put my hands up but would just like some clarification!  A reference to back up the answer either way would be great......

Thanks in advance.

Daz

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2018 12:03:40(UTC)
Hsquared14

Interesting I've been looking at HSG33 recently due to a question relating to roof access on our site and frankly I found it as much help as a chocolate fire guard.  Personnally I wouldn't recommend what you are describing because if anything went wrong with the cherry picker the worker could be dragged off the roof.  I doubt you will find anything in writing because I couldn't either for our situation.

Danslow  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2018 12:14:46(UTC)
Danslow

Thank you, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! 

Thomas Baxter  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:06:13(UTC)
Thomas Baxter

Hi Daz,

Think APM...

Can they not simply work from the platform if they are working near the edge? Imagine if someone decide to operate the boom lift using the ground controls!

Thom

firesafety101  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:10:34(UTC)
firesafety101

I think the rule is you do not leave the basket.

The harness is worn to prevent you being thrown out if the cherry picker starts to bounce.

fiesta  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:38:01(UTC)
fiesta

Hi All,

I vaguely remembered reading something that suggested in certain circumstances it was acceptable to exit a MEWP at height.

Please see link below

http://www.afi-uplift.co.uk/hseqnews/exitingamewpatheight. Andy 

Danslow  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:59:44(UTC)
Danslow

Allo Thom,

If that was an option I'd have gone for it! Unfortunately this work doesnt allow that, they have to get out of the basket.  

Thanks though.

Charlie Brown  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2018 15:03:59(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Short answer, NO.

As Thom said, what happens if someone down on the ground operates the boom from the ground controls? What happens if someone accidently smashes into the machine with a truck of similar? Additionally, the basket is designed to contain the operators, not to provide a suitable anchor point for roof workers.

There are instances where it is permissable to exit a basket onto a roof but it is not recommended as a normal practice. BS8460:2005 "Safe use of MEWPS" Code of Practice should give you some ideas.

Danslow  
#9 Posted : 14 February 2018 15:54:54(UTC)
Danslow

Charlie,

I'm not asking if its allowed.  As I said 'I believe not but i'm struggling to find something to justify me saying so' and as i've said i've read pretty much all the various documents.  

Thanks

Hsquared14  
#10 Posted : 14 February 2018 16:01:18(UTC)
Hsquared14

Having looked at HSG33, BS8460 and everything else I can find on the great god of Google all say the same thing.  There may be exceptional circumstances where the most appropriate means of access is by using a MEWP to get there and exiting the MEWP BUT it has to be done only following a detailed risk assessment, full rescue / safety plan in place and taking into account prevention of dynamic loading on the MEWP basket.  So my distillation of all that is that using the MEWP as edge protection, especially if you are attached to it is a NO-NO but where other means of access pose greater hazard it is acceptable.  My next move then is to revamp our work at height policy, procedure and permit to work documentation to reflect all that because the design of our building the type of edge protection and reasons for access make other methods more hazardous and unsustainable.

Charlie Brown  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2018 16:53:55(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Sorry Daz, when you said "Can operatives work close to the edge of a 6 degree pitched roof harnessed to a MEWP (cherry Picker basket)" I did actually think you were asking if it was allowed and if you had already read all the documents then why are you asking the question when you already have the answers? I should also add, my answer is seasoned by 13 years of experience in the powered access industry.

Originally Posted by: Danslow Go to Quoted Post

Charlie,

I'm not asking if its allowed.  As I said 'I believe not but i'm struggling to find something to justify me saying so' and as i've said i've read pretty much all the various documents.  

Thanks

Edited by user 14 February 2018 17:13:48(UTC)  | Reason: added comment

grim72  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2018 16:57:10(UTC)
grim72

Have you tried contacting IPAF for an answer/guidance? They should be able to give a definitive answer?

https://www.ipaf.org/en

James Robinson  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2018 17:27:41(UTC)
James Robinson

Your asking the wrong question?

Can I prove by risk assessment that a person working on a roof, can be protected adequately when falling off the said roof by using a harness/lanyard/tethered to a MEWP?

Call up any MEWP hire company etc, and they will say no. Your harness, lanyard, fall arrest, work restraint, etc all may work perfectly well, but the shock loading/pendulum effect on the MEWP is more than likely to bring it down on top of you - or you are hurt by hitting the MEWP structure, or are now dangling from something that you would like to lower but can't, etc.

So what you are actually asking is can I jump off a roof when clipped to a MEWP - the answer is no.

You can use MEWPS to in effect create edge protection in certain situations, but this is very different to relying upon them as an anchor point as you describe.

regards

James

thanks 1 user thanked James Robinson for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 15/02/2018(UTC)
boblewis  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2018 19:04:04(UTC)
boblewis

In some situations platform lifts can be used in such a way and some are designed to have a push out section to bridge the gap BUT it is not a routine method

Hsquared14  
#15 Posted : 15 February 2018 09:03:57(UTC)
Hsquared14

In our case we have assed that this is the only safe way of getting over the roof edge parapet.  We only access the gulley and have a manway restraint system in place to prevent walking off the other end and "climbing" the roof itself.    The cherry picker lifts them up and has a swan neck which means that the basket is placed within the gulley virtually touching the roof.  The worker clips to the manway before unclipping from the cherrypicker and vice versa to get back in. So the worker is never stepping over a gap which would be the case with other access methods because of the design of the parapet.