Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ryangavin777  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:14:25(UTC)
ryangavin777

Afternoon All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding contractors working out of hours, particularly with regards to the following:

• High Risk Activities
    • ​​​​​​​I won't be allowing high-risk activities during out-of-hours and I'll ensure these are on their RAMS.
  • First Aid
    • ​​​​​​​The site is an 18hr site and therefore non of our employees will be here. Are we required to provide first aid during these hours, as they're on our site?
  • ​​​​​​​Fire - again, where do we stand with this?
  • They won't be supervised.
    • Is this the norm?

What are the general thoughts on contractors working out of hours and control measures to put in place? I'm sure this happens daily but I'm having a brain fart day!

Thanks All.

Charlie Brown  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2018 14:53:09(UTC)
Charlie Brown

You would need to supply a bit more info if you are going to get a suitable response because "contractors working out of hours"  could mean a lot of things, are they working in teams or lone working? doing maintenance? driving trucks? packing boxes?

Probably most offices have contract cleaners working out of hours unsupervised and often, these are lone workers. In my past role we had contract lorry drivers collecting hired plant from our depots out of hours. In any case there should be a suitable contractor induction carried out at the start of their contract and in some cases, lone working systems put in place.

"In case of fire" should be part of their induction and if they need to do hot works you should establish a system of permits for this.

As far as higer risk activities, if someone is lone working this should ideally not be permitted but if there is a team of contractors working on site building a wall or something they might not be able to complete their work if you are too restrictive. Hope that helps

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2018 15:38:12(UTC)
Hsquared14

In some circumstances there is high risk work that you really don't want to do during working hours and out of hours is the safest option.   The contractor is responsible for their own first aid but must have a method of summoning the emergency services.  High risk activity should always be supervised.  I will be on site personnally to supervise a high risk job being done on our site over the weekend because it is the safest time to do from the point of view of protecting both the contractor personnel and our own people.  You need to plan for it that's all.