Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
allanwood  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2018 14:50:42(UTC)
allanwood

Ive been asked to get involved with an action group at my employers with regards to the new GDPR

does anyone have any hints, tips, pointers etc with regards to this?

Thanks in advance

allan

LeanneD  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2018 14:52:37(UTC)
LeanneD

Originally Posted by: allanwood Go to Quoted Post

Ive been asked to get involved with an action group at my employers with regards to the new GDPR

does anyone have any hints, tips, pointers etc with regards to this?

Thanks in advance

allan

Oh spooky! i was just looking at this today for a running club i am invovled with.  No advice really as it confused the hell out of me but just bookmarking in the hope someone more knowlegable will come along!

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2018 15:18:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

GDPR is the General Data Protection Regulation which comes into force in May 2018 if anyone was asking!

SFSDOA

Society For Striking Down Obscure Acronyms

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 19/02/2018(UTC)
Oliverp1  
#4 Posted : 16 February 2018 15:21:52(UTC)
Oliverp1

I was asked to join a webinar for GDPR I could send you some information if you wanted?

allanwood  
#5 Posted : 16 February 2018 16:15:48(UTC)
allanwood

any information would be gratefully recieved send it to

AWood@rsussells-construction.co.uk

thanks in advance

allan

Oliverp1  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2018 08:59:42(UTC)
Oliverp1

Ive sent that now. I had some trouble with your email adress as it wouldnt send but I guess its russells-construction and not rsussels-construction.

score  
#7 Posted : 19 February 2018 10:08:07(UTC)
score

Goggle the Information Commisioners Office (ICO) for all the information you require.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/ 

chas  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2018 10:52:34(UTC)
chas

We started to look at this in earnest last October. We have reps from each part of the business working as a focus group and they are looking at the data we hold. Don't believe anyone who says if you were compliant under the old DPA then there should be no problem under the GDPR. Once you get in to the potential implications and asking questions of suppliers and third parties you will find things are not as simple as you might think. Let alone sorting out the historical data you hold and gaining consent etc. If you are just starting out on the journey (and depending on the nature of your business) you may find you are not ready for 'D' day. But then I suspect you will not be alone. One comforting thought is that I understand that the ICO will not be charging round looking for people who are not compliant. They will only be reacting to complaints that get made.   

allanwood  
#9 Posted : 19 February 2018 19:00:16(UTC)
allanwood

thanks - the information was recieved and please excuse my fat fingered typing!!!

allan

welsh echo  
#10 Posted : 22 February 2018 12:37:07(UTC)
welsh echo

If it helps, GDPR and its compliance is very similar to ISO 27001, so if you or your company is ISO 9001 as many are it's quite simple to implement running along the same ANNEX SL.