Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nic78  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2018 10:14:06(UTC)
Nic78

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some views on evacuation drills and roll calls. We currently have an issue where our main site fire lists are produced via a piece of software which handles our access swipe cards. This is great and just what we need, until either the power goes off or the network connection to our sister site goes down. Our Senior Exec for site wants to implement a back-up system but I want to get some views in terms of what you do and what systems you use?

Do you always do a roll call?

Would you consider a visual sweep by fire wardens on its own to be sufficient?

Do you think lists have a place or are they outdated?

I'd appreciate any and all viewpoints on this so that I can collate into possibilities for our exec to consider.

Many thanks!

Nic

smurphy84  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2018 11:36:47(UTC)
smurphy84

Hi Nic,

I worked in security some time back so can give you some well earned tips:

Do you always do a roll call? - People will always try this but it's never accurate. As soon as some get out of their work place they see it as an extra break so head straight to the coffee shop.

Would you consider a visual sweep by fire wardens on its own to be sufficient? - Yes, that's what they are there for. Just ensure they check toilets/kitchens.

Do you think lists have a place or are they outdated? - I would only keep a list of fire wardens and have them confirm their areas clear due to the first comment above.

watcher  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2018 11:44:43(UTC)
watcher

We ditched ours a few years ago, as they were never hugely trustworthy

Lots of people had forgotten to clock in and out of the building, problems with printers, what to do with visitors, especially staff from sister sites who could gain entry, without going through our receptionists.

Plus the issues you identified

We now do visual checks and the fire marshalls for each area report that their area is clear

Seems to work well and FRS are happy with it

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2018 11:48:15(UTC)
Hsquared14

I've tried lists but found they don't really work very well, our clocking system can generate a list of who is in work but of course not which building they are in at the time of the "fire".  You also have to print the list everyday but as our people work flexitime when do you print it?  It will never be accurate so I've opted for the Fire Warden Sweep method. 

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2018 12:05:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I have never used roll calls for the reasons mentioned. Unless people are expected to stay in one location throughout the shift it becomes pointless. So for any organisation that has a larger site or more than a few people I would not bother with the roll call. What you need is a sweep system by trained fire wardens.  

Psycho  
#6 Posted : 19 February 2018 12:29:21(UTC)
Psycho

i look after half a dozen hospitals in the north east, at any one time i cannot tell you how many staff are on site, never mind patients visitors, outpatients, A&E attendees etc. i know on the site i am on today there will be arount 450 bedded patients including ITU patients, were to move that patient could kill them around 2000 staff will be on site and 1000 visitors how do we deal with this

easy - we do a search and sweep as we leave the area-- we dont even have nominated assembly area - but thats another answer to another question.

My advice would be get rid of the books, get rid of the clocking in and print out stuff and Keep it simple.