Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rsherl01  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2018 08:24:35(UTC)
rsherl01

Hi, 

I am looking to set up some side consultancy work and I am struggling for a company name. I would like something smart and catchy which relates to Safety but my creative mind alludes me. Anyone any suggestions? Bit of a fun one in here compared to the serious threads. 

Thanks in advance. 

lorna  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2018 09:30:31(UTC)
lorna

I decided not to go with a safety related name - the best ones were taken anyway. I used my surname & an old family name - I was told it sounded like a legal firm & it was (inadvertently) quite similar to a very big HR company in the US. 

If you're going Limited Company, your name has to be unique - a quick Google search of any names you're considering will save you the time & expense of changing it later. 

Charlie Brown  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2018 11:42:10(UTC)
Charlie Brown

If you want a 2 name thing you could go with something like "Hazard and None" or "Horse and Bolted" :)

Or how about "Ah to B Safe"

Mr Insurance  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2018 08:28:35(UTC)
Mr Insurance

If you need a strapline, how about -

"Safety should be a matter of course, not a matter of cost"

I'll let you have that for free!! :)

safetyamateur  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2018 12:59:12(UTC)
safetyamateur

"Aah to B Safe" would clinch that all-important top alphabetical spot.

watcher  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2018 14:30:27(UTC)
watcher

My opinion, for what it's worth - I would probably, subconciously, prefer to do business with someone with a serious name.  I liked lorna's idea of something traditional sounding.

I'm afraid any business with a "punny" or "fun" name would put me off 

Charlie Brown  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2018 14:54:41(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Ok so something like "Slaughter and Scarper" then? :)

Originally Posted by: watcher Go to Quoted Post

My opinion, for what it's worth - I would probably, subconciously, prefer to do business with someone with a serious name.  I liked lorna's idea of something traditional sounding.

I'm afraid any business with a "punny" or "fun" name would put me off 

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2018 15:24:22(UTC)
A Kurdziel

"Health and Safety and Safety Solutions-

You can tell by the company car we are serious consultants."

I say that as we once retained some consultants and as we saw them drive up in gold coloured Jag we realised that we were going to be overcharged!

David Bannister  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2018 09:38:17(UTC)
David Bannister

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

I say that as we once retained some consultants and as we saw them drive up in gold coloured Jag we realised that we were going to be overcharged!

And what would you think if your lawyer turned up in a 15 year old banger, scuffed shoes and frayed shirt?

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2018 10:20:10(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: David Bannister Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

And what would you think if your lawyer turned up in a 15 year old banger, scuffed shoes and frayed shirt?

I'd cancel the overdraft arrangements with the bank which come as standard when you hire a lawyer.

No, seriously the consultants turned up in a gold coloured Jag (a bit flashier than necessary) and there were three of them.  They we not value for money.

There is a difference between looking professional; giving an off an air of competence and trying to show off.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
David Bannister on 23/02/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2018 11:51:38(UTC)
Kate

But at least they all came in the same car and didn't have to charge for three sets of driving expenses?