Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MelissaFW  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2018 14:04:48(UTC)
MelissaFW

We have an increasing number of foreign labour only operatives working on our behalf, although we have a translator on site...to coin a famous phrase, a lot gets 'lost in translation' as we have recently discovered. 

We are looking to professionally translate certain documents such as toolbox talks, induction forms etc. The items that are not regularly changed on site but at what point do we stop? Is there any thoughts on 'it was started why was the decision taken NOT to do XX form?'. 

Thoughts are appreciated and also any contact details for a professional translation service for Russian, Polish, German and potentially various other languages moving forward. 

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2018 20:01:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Might help if you give some indication of the business sector/industry

Some trade organisations already have translated documents e.g. CEFIC has transperanto for chemical delivery drivers (which works well for other drivers)

Edited by user 12 March 2018 20:01:42(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Charlie Brown  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2018 22:20:28(UTC)
Charlie Brown

This is something I have seen a lot of on construction sites and it is commonly dealt with by the requirement for the supervisor to speak English as well as their native language and lots of pictures with what good looks like and what bad looks like, delineated with a green tick or red cross. I think generally people get the idea when they see these.

julietpowell  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2018 19:24:51(UTC)
julietpowell

Originally Posted by: Charlie Brown Go to Quoted Post

This is something I have seen a lot of on construction sites and it is commonly dealt with by the requirement for the supervisor to speak English as well as their native language and lots of pictures with what good looks like and what bad looks like, delineated with a green tick or red cross. I think generally people get the idea when they see these.

i agree, we also have a large number of non/limited English speaking employee's and i try to use pictures as much as i can and so far it does seem to be very successful although we are quite lucky in that we have a lot of translators availabe to use.