Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vogt27061  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2018 16:00:15(UTC)
Vogt27061

I have recently been assigned responsibility for a construction project.

I have sorted out management aspects (supervision) etc but am looking for hands on training ie how to recognise unsafe conditions, bad practices etc.

Of course I have had general training (toe boards etc etc) but would like some specific training to be able to recognise poorjavascript:__doPostBack('forum$ctl03$PostReply','') behaviour and practices.

Can anyone suggest a training course?

I am not UK based but training in the UK would be fine.

Charlie Brown  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2018 22:54:06(UTC)
Charlie Brown

You could do the IOSH Managing Safely course. Where I last worked we put all our managers through the course and it was interesting to see how in a lot of cases it changed their attitudes towards safety. Not a big fan of online or e-learning courses but if you are out of the UK you can do this course online too.

Bigmac1  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2018 19:48:40(UTC)
Bigmac1

I dont think IOSH Managing safely is for Safety Professionals.

Maybe NEBOSH Construction certificate will be more benficial

Charlie Brown  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2018 21:31:54(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Ah yes, I missed a crutial bit of information in the title of the post. Agreed that NEBOSH NCC would be better but actually, being put in charge of a project without already having suitable training and experience is a bit worrisome me thinks.

Shopland23872  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2018 22:01:57(UTC)
Shopland23872

Doing the CITB SMSTS course would be a good start, and honestly the only real way to learn anything about site safety is to get onto site. Particularly from the start in the groundworks phase