Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mr.Flibble2.0  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2018 17:31:32(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Hi All

An employee has notified us that that have HIV what (if any) precuations would need to be made from a First Aid Perspective: Person suffers a cut and requires treatment.

I appreciate that the First Aider should be wearing gloves and that there was no requirement for the employee to notify us in the first instance. We certainly cannot inform everyone as this would be a breach of their rights.

Any thoughts

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2018 17:44:16(UTC)
Kate

I would take this as a prompt to remind first aiders of the importance of wearing gloves, without identifying anyone as having a blood-borne disease.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2018 19:51:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

and to use Resusci-Aids for those other bodily fluid transmitted diseases

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2018 19:51:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

and to use Resusci-Aids for those other bodily fluid transmitted diseases

lorna  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2018 10:35:22(UTC)
lorna

Having worked in social care, hospitals & prisons, I've always gone with the assumption that everyone should take universal infection control measures as you never know who's got what. A reminder every now & then is good practice (imho).

thanks 3 users thanked lorna for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/03/2018(UTC), Steve e ashton on 15/03/2018(UTC), jakatac1@gmail.com on 17/03/2018(UTC)
stevedm  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:54:03(UTC)
stevedm

Good advice from Lorna...also dignity and respect...the PT is still  a human being despite some obvious scare mongering that is rasining its head here...HIV is not transmissed through saliva, tears and sweat...blood borne..

The PT will also most likely be undergoing treatment and there are some side effects that could affect thier work ability.

Your first aiders have the option of hands only but update your BBP policy and precaution...

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2018 13:42:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Sorry you read comments on infection control in the most general sense as scare mongering about HIV/AIDS

Kates post, and my follow on, were in respect of a general reminder about all communicable diseases and risk mitigation

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2018 13:42:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

Sorry you read comments on infection control in the most general sense as scare mongering about HIV/AIDS

Kates post, and my follow on, were in respect of a general reminder about all communicable diseases and risk mitigation

watcher  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2018 14:29:51(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post

Good advice from Lorna...also dignity and respect...the PT is still  a human being despite some obvious scare mongering that is rasining its head here...HIV is not transmissed through saliva, tears and sweat...blood borne..

The PT will also most likely be undergoing treatment and there are some side effects that could affect thier work ability.

Your first aiders have the option of hands only but update your BBP policy and precaution...

Scaremongering?  Are you reading the same thread as me, or have some posts been deleted?

thanks 1 user thanked watcher for this useful post.
Andrew W Walker on 15/03/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2018 15:24:21(UTC)
Kate

I'm not sure what the scaremongering is either.  First aiders are supposed to wear gloves anyway, and Roundtuit's point about mouth barriers was clearly a general point about other diseases not HIV.  If you are going to remind your first aiders about protecting themselves from infection then you may as well mention mouth barriers as well as gloves.

Charlie Brown  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2018 16:32:07(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Sorry, I can't see any scaremongering either, just common sense about how to deal with ALL first aid cases, not just HIV sufferers. This has been discussed at every first aid course I ever went on (and there have been a few)

WatsonD  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2018 08:57:04(UTC)
WatsonD

There has clearly been some scaremongering here about the presence of scaremongerers LOL

thanks 2 users thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Kate on 16/03/2018(UTC), CdC on 16/03/2018(UTC)