Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Oxy  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2018 11:20:00(UTC)
Oxy

We have recently purchased a Man Basket that can be attached to our Forklift for ad hoc, low risk, short time period working at height activities. I have suggested that a harness is not required, as a MEWP, I am treating it in a similair fashion to a scissor lift rather than, say, a cherry picker due to movement of it on a FLT. Someone in my team disagrees and suggests we should have one. What are your thoughts?

Andrew W Walker  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2018 11:28:17(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Have a read of this...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/pm28.pdf

Kate  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2018 11:35:10(UTC)
Kate

First of all I can't resist suggesting that probably you shouldn't have it at all.  These are only meant to be for exceptional circumstances where you cannot use safer access such as a scissor lift or cherry-picker, not just because it may be convenient.

I would expect the manufacturer's manual to contain instructions for use which would indicate what precautions are suitable.

The reason for requiring a restraint in a cherrypicker and not a scissor lift is the greater range of movement of a cherrypicker which could jerk a person out, unlike the scissor lift which can only boringly go up and down.  The forklift doesn't just go up and down so I suggest it resembles the cherrypicker case more than the scissor lift case.

Edited by user 15 March 2018 11:36:44(UTC)  | Reason: corrected last phrase

Blackburn31728  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2018 11:53:35(UTC)
Blackburn31728

As above he needs a harness but more to the point who is controlling him up and down is this interlocked so only he can control it or does the driver work the handles as this bit very bad should be interlocked too

Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:06:12(UTC)
Charlie Brown

From your comments it sounds like you have purchased the wrong bit of kit. As per previous posts, these are only meant for use in EXCEPITONAL circumstances and ad hoc, low risk,short time period doesn't really equal exceptional. I would suggest you read the link posted by Andrew Walker above and have a think about the suitability of your new purchase.

If however you are still of a mind to continue using the man basket on a forklift, If the forklift is not a tele-handler where you have a fulcrum effect and If the tilt and sideshift levers are inoperable as they should be and If the forklift is stationary, i.e. the forklift is not driven with a worker in the basket and If the surface is flat and level then there is no need for a harness and lanyard UNLESS the worker in the basket has to reach outside the basket.

Originally Posted by: Callum Maclean Go to Quoted Post

We have recently purchased a Man Basket that can be attached to our Forklift for ad hoc, low risk, short time period working at height activities.

Edited by user 15 March 2018 16:20:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
Kate on 15/03/2018(UTC)
Ashbo82  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:09:42(UTC)
Ashbo82

Its subjective, but don't think its paramount that a harness is used.

If the Man Basket is and should only be used with a specific forklift that has a sideshift isolation fitted, then yes it will or at least should operate like a scissor lift (up/down) reducing the risk of alternate movements like in said cherry picker.

They aren't the go to device really as CP's and SL's are the preferred and safer choice for all or most aspects of WAH.

thanks 1 user thanked Ashbo82 for this useful post.
Kate on 15/03/2018(UTC)
quality_somerset  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:31:39(UTC)
quality_somerset

More information here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/pm28.pdf

Regards

QS

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:40:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

The lifting equipment insurance inspector required us to clearly identify the harness hook-ons for our "simple cage" and attach clear unambiguous instructions for use.

This was from two different insurers at two different employers

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2018 12:40:01(UTC)
Roundtuit

The lifting equipment insurance inspector required us to clearly identify the harness hook-ons for our "simple cage" and attach clear unambiguous instructions for use.

This was from two different insurers at two different employers

Edmonds37564  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2018 13:34:41(UTC)
Edmonds37564

If you can jump through the hoops of the CPA / HSE guidnace on these baskets then go for it

We cut the thing up !! and we were wearing PPE

thanks 1 user thanked Edmonds37564 for this useful post.
Brian Campbell on 15/03/2018(UTC)
pgahegan  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2018 13:35:22(UTC)
pgahegan

I would advise against the use of the forklift; you need to ensure that the Insurance company will cover this activity, that the forlkift has had a 6 monthly inspection (as it is lifting persons) that there are guards in place to prevent any interactions with the forklift mast., the list goes on the more that you look at it.

Brian Campbell  
#12 Posted : 15 March 2018 19:51:42(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Like Edmond said, we also cut ours up years ago and got rid before someone got badly hurt.  Human factor plays a big part in using forklift man cages and its just not worth it.  theres plenty more tech out there more suitable and sufficient.

toe  
#13 Posted : 15 March 2018 21:34:10(UTC)
toe

We get the idea that these are not a good thing, however, it was a question. I have seen and used these for different tasks in the past, but not for a long time. Some cages have a door that opens inwards with a self-locking device, designed to keep people within the cage, if people are contained within the cage then a harness would not normally be needed. 

It maybe that the cage is the open style which allows a person to lean over the cage (for example to relocate precarious overhanging goods) or the person may get out of the cage to gain access to a platform, in this case a harness may well be required.

So… dependant on the ‘working at height activities’ that is being conducted or the design of the cage,  will determine the risk control measures. As a previous poster has indicated, I may be the case that all your FLT have to drop down to six monthly inspections, unless you can guarantee that only one FLT will be used for the lifting operation of the man cage.

Adams29600  
#14 Posted : 16 March 2018 12:31:49(UTC)
Adams29600

It is all well and good to say these items should not be used. However, they are and they are CE marked etc. etc. For companies that have less than daily requirements for such access, they provide a cost effective alternative to buying and maintaining a scissor lift or hiring one every time it is needed. Given the options of either spending the money on a scissor lift or starting upgrading control systems on our manufacturing machines, we still use a cage and FLT.

We control it by only allowing 1 FLT to be used which is inspected every 6 months. Only certain more experienced FLT operators are permitted to carry out the activity. The FLT is not allowed to traverse with the cage raised.

The person in the cage is not permitted to lean or climb out of the cage. No harness required. In fact, there may be circumstances where the harness will do more harm than good if a fall occurs.

frankhone  
#15 Posted : 16 March 2018 13:08:16(UTC)
frankhone

Judging by the Advice already given you have probably decided to send this bit of kit back to the suppliers which is probably the best advice you could get regarding man cages. 

Regards Frank 

Charlie Brown  
#16 Posted : 16 March 2018 13:37:32(UTC)
Charlie Brown

These should not be ce marked as per PM28.

"There are restrictions on the circumstances in which non-integrated working platforms can be used. Also, non-integrated working platforms do not come under the Machinery Directive and should not be CE marked."

So if yours is then you should probably look into it.

Another point to consider is that "less than daily" does not meet the criteria of "exceptional circumstances only" which is part of the HSE Guidance. In my view, if the work is not urgent then it should be carried out using a more appropriate form of access, whether it be powered access platforms, podiums, scaffolds etc.

Originally Posted by: Adams29600 Go to Quoted Post

It is all well and good to say these items should not be used. However, they are and they are CE marked etc.

Edited by user 16 March 2018 13:39:08(UTC)  | Reason: italics