Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattSmith189  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2018 09:44:10(UTC)
MattSmith189

Hi All, My first post here. I have recently started at a new company where we have manufacturing facilitys in both the UK and in the Czech Republic. I am the group's Health and Safety representative. Laws and requirements are slightly different in the two countries. Does anyone know of a course or training I could receive to improve my knowlage of Czech H&S laws and requirements.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2018 10:16:31(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I don’t know the details of  Czech law but if you decide to get involved be aware that Czech law is different from English common law and different principles apply ( for examples there is no rule of legal precedent) and the way laws are interpreted and applied will be different. Based on German practice there will be an enhanced role for insurance providers who will investigate accidents etc rather than the local equivalent of the HSE.  Compensation will be paid out on a no fault basis rather than having to prove negligence.  And finally the underlying culture might well be different so don’t expect a straight forward like for like conversation process.   

MattSmith189  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2018 11:19:35(UTC)
MattSmith189

I know the laws are different. But i'd like a better understanding of it. Do you know of anyone who might be able to offer training or awareness?

biker1  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2018 15:25:25(UTC)
biker1

In my consultancy days, I had a major client in the Czech Republic. Can't claim to know a lot about Czech law, but had some interesting conversations. Their approach to contractors was to find something they had done wrong and fine them for it, which came across as a revenue earner rather then raising standards. Locking out of electrical equipment was alien to them, they simply posted a notice telling people not to use it, and we had a circular conversation about that. I remember warning them that things would need to change when they joined the EC, don't know what happened after that.

DaveDowan  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2018 10:27:10(UTC)
DaveDowan

Hi Matt 

Try this 

http://www.ilo.org/safework/countries/europe/the-czech-republic/lang--en/index.htm

regards Dave

thanks 1 user thanked DaveDowan for this useful post.
MattSmith189 on 26/03/2018(UTC)