Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ajc  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:05:00(UTC)
ajc

Afternoon everyone,

we are providing a service to a client on a large construction site by unloading delivery lorries of various items using a telehandler. The problem I have is that one supplier expects us to use straps to secure the load against the telehandler mast to make safe.

My opinion is that straps should not be used as part of a lift plan, the load should be secure in itself and not require us to make the load an integral part of the telehandler by securing with straps.

I would like to see the supplier make more of an effort to secure the load, the load is approx 10m/3m/2m weighing approx 3000kg made up of four frames.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:55:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Isn't what you describe four separate loads?

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2018 17:55:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

Isn't what you describe four separate loads?

ajc  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2018 13:19:54(UTC)
ajc

Afternoon Roundtuit,

No, it is one load, the four frames are placed on a bespoke pallet with rubber in beween to protect them, they then have a makeshift timber frame around them similar to lifting large window frames.

My question is "should strapping to the telehandler be used as a first option"

Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2018 13:57:42(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I seem to recall from my flt driving days way back the length of the load shouldn't ideally be more than 3 times the max width of the forks? Could be wrong but unless you are using a spreader attachment 10m seems excessive.  If the load is 3m from the mast frame then I would assume you are using some pretty long fork extenders? Would you not be better off using a jib and slinging the load?

ajc  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2018 14:22:39(UTC)
ajc

Thanks Charlie,

The load is 3m high, 2m from mast frame, the crane will come on site shortly to distribute loads around site, in the meantime the loads are to be stored, I expect at least another three loads before the crane is recalled.

To suspend the load we would need to upskill the driver for lifting and travelling with suspended loads which I dont really want to do as it brings in more risks.

Charlie Brown  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2018 16:55:03(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Wow, 3m is 9' in old money and I would expect the load is carried in an elevated position to enable the operator to see where they are going. Given the fulcrum effect of the load hanging out from each side of the centre of the forks and with the load elevated to probably 2m to enable the driver to see where they are going, TBH I wouldn't be too happy with that situation on site as I think there would be significant risk of tipping. Particularly if it got a bit windy and the ground wasn't exactly firm and level. Not even if the load was strapped to the machine, which would just make it so the whole thing will tip over rather than just the load.

Edited by user 21 March 2018 16:57:35(UTC)  | Reason: added stuff

chris42  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2018 09:36:20(UTC)
chris42

Sorry but this does not sound like the right piece of equipment for the job. If the whole thing weighs 3000 Kg then every 10cm slice of the 10m length is worth is 30Kg, so if you are 10 cm off centre you end up with 60Kg more one side than the other, with a leverage of 5m on the centre line of the equipment. Made even worse by the crank handle effect with the load lifted.

What is the quote “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world” or something like that?

Plus, as noted above the top will be approx. 5m up from the ground, wind, ground conditions.

Incident waiting to happen IMHO. Hope the product is not expensive. However, this will be a valuable (possibly expensive) learning experience for whoever agreed the job.

On the positive side as it sticks out the side 4m ish, if strapped on it will only fall over so far :o)

Best of luck, and please YouTube the incident for us.

ajc  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2018 14:41:02(UTC)
ajc

Interesting replies gents,

The load is never higher then when on the lorry as it is lowered to close to ground level and then the driver reverses to the drop off point with the aid of banksmen front and back - a typical manouvre for this type of plant.

No comments on the use of straps?

Chris c  
#10 Posted : 26 March 2018 20:03:40(UTC)
Chris c

i recently had to investgate a serious accident were a rough terrain tele handlet  tiped forward  whist undersling a load  what we found out if underslinging a load there is a  additional unit of training the operater requires 

the duty chart in the machine dose not take into account underslung loads the manufactors instructions state if the maching has outriggers they must be used when lifting  and the machinecmust be operated on firm level ground  in my opion tele handlers  should not be used for anything except what they were desgined for  lifting pallets  and materials on ther forks  it sounds like you are using the incorect pice of equipment  if the machine turned over tomorrow could you defend the desicion to use this equipment bearing in mind a crane is orderd to complete this task 

hope this helps 

chris