Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boblewis  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2018 08:55:39(UTC)
boblewis

The news that a crane had dropped a pallett of bricks onto a pedestrian in East London made me weep at the construction industry.  The use of nets was a major advance in the safety of such lifts and yet many were and it seems still are not willing to use such simple equipment.  Any time this happens the risk of fatality is high and only luck determines the outcome

Bigsunny  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2018 13:40:02(UTC)
Bigsunny

It is appaling and very upsetting that a young lady died minutes after droping her child at school. As a father and husband is so annoying to see that happened to anyone. I have worked as a slinger signaller and a crane supervisor just out of interest and likeness for cranes, unfortuntaley companies see lifting teams as non-importance and they have utter disregard for the lift plan and tends to force the crane operators and crane superviosr to work differently from the lift plan. While i worked as a crane supervisor the project managers,managers disliked me because i works in accoprdance with the lift plan and ensure all my team are briefed daily on daily tasks.

Is high time, the HSE come up with some measures to ensure crane on site is solely controlled by the crane supervisor, powers should be taken from the PM and managers in that case crane superviors will have a responsibility in ensuring the safety of the the lifting operations. 

Edited by user 31 March 2018 13:49:13(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

arnoldisnumerouno  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2018 19:08:26(UTC)
arnoldisnumerouno

I think part of the problem revolves around competence and the courses people attend to gain qualifications. Training is often unregulated whereas testing can be invigilated by the awarding body - leading to training sessions being focused on the trainer providing the candidate with the answers to the tests and continual mock practical testing, as long as the test conforms to scheme require,eats there is little than can be done.