Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bhyslop  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2018 08:13:51(UTC)
bhyslop

Hi ive recently started a new job as a QHSE coordinator,one of the things we seem to struggle with as a company is making sure contractors provide adeququate welfare provisions for their employees on site. 

has anyone had any dealings with controlling this and maybe setting minimum expectations you expect for any contractor going onto site? 

(NEBOSH NGC qualified and looking to continue qualifications)

Kate  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2018 08:21:36(UTC)
Kate

Can you explain a bit about what your business does and what kind of place(s) the contractors are working in?

That will make a difference to what is practical to do.

bhyslop  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2018 08:31:15(UTC)
bhyslop

We help house builders with the process of the adoption process of highways, so getting the highways brought upto the adoption standard.

so making sure drainage, potholes, streetlighting and surface finish is all correct and upto standard.

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:16:31(UTC)
Ian Bell2

This should be covered in the project CDM construction phase plan.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:19:19(UTC)
Kate

It sounds like the contractors are working near new housing estates.  Is this at a stage where it is still a construction site with facilities that they might be able to use by arrangement?

If not it seems a site-specific welfare plan is needed for each job, first checking what facilities are publicly available in the area and perhaps building in time to avail themselves of them, or else setting up portable facilities at a cost that would need to be passed on to you as the client.  That would be the sticking-point, I suspect.

bhyslop  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:21:20(UTC)
bhyslop

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Agreed, but im trying to set a standard to make sure it is followed, we can be on-site for around a month with diffirent contractors on site at diffirent times, we arent on site at all times and have attended site and had contractors tell us welfare facilities are arriving tomorrow with only a few days left on the job. 

So basically i need to figure out the best way to set a standard and controll this, part of me is thinking that we should purchase and control the welfare facilities for the period we are involved in the project and let all contractors under our control use these facilities. 

fhunter  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:26:11(UTC)
fhunter

Originally Posted by: bhyslop Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Agreed, but im trying to set a standard to make sure it is followed, we can be on-site for around a month with diffirent contractors on site at diffirent times, we arent on site at all times and have attended site and had contractors tell us welfare facilities are arriving tomorrow with only a few days left on the job. 

So basically i need to figure out the best way to set a standard and controll this, part of me is thinking that we should purchase and control the welfare facilities for the period we are involved in the project and let all contractors under our control use these facilities. 

For clarity, you are attending a site where there is an established Principal Contractor in place on already established sites?

It is the responsibility of the PC to provide adeqaute welfare at all times. I would be speaking to their Safety Team and requesting answers why they are not complying with CDM. 

Kate  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:26:46(UTC)
Kate

Hm, I can't see your business agreeing to pay for this on someone else's construction site where it is the responsibility of the principal contractor.

Closer links with the principal contractor might be a way to improve matters.

bhyslop  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:27:22(UTC)
bhyslop

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

It sounds like the contractors are working near new housing estates.  Is this at a stage where it is still a construction site with facilities that they might be able to use by arrangement?

If not it seems a site-specific welfare plan is needed for each job, first checking what facilities are publicly available in the area and perhaps building in time to avail themselves of them, or else setting up portable facilities at a cost that would need to be passed on to you as the client.  That would be the sticking-point, I suspect.

usually the works are carried out prior to the houses being built. We are onsite as principal contractor and usually we would ask contractors onsite to sort out welfare facilities, but we have a problem controlling this as we arent on site 24/7.

fhunter  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:30:15(UTC)
fhunter

usually the works are carried out prior to the houses being built. We are onsite as principal contractor and usually we would ask contractors onsite to sort out welfare facilities, but we have a problem controlling this as we arent on site 24/7.

If you are Principal Contractor you should providing this and also have on site management in place for the entire duration of your appointment as PC. 

thanks 1 user thanked fhunter for this useful post.
bhyslop on 04/04/2018(UTC)
bhyslop  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:31:31(UTC)
bhyslop

Hm, I can't see your business agreeing to pay for this on someone else's construction site where it is the responsibility of the principal contractor.

Closer links with the principal contractor might be a way to improve matters.

We go onsite at the begining as principal contractor, this role i assume is then passed onto the house builders. so under CDM it is our duty to make sure adequte welfare facilities are on-site, this seems to then be passed down to each contractor on site. id like to get it to the point where we set up the welfare facilities for all contractors onsite to use for the period we are onsite. as currently i dont think we are doing enough.

sorry for being vague but ive only just started here so getting my head around all the information im being passed at the moment.

Kate  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:33:26(UTC)
Kate

Our posts crossed with similar thoughts, fhunter!

bhyslop  
#13 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:35:15(UTC)
bhyslop

Originally Posted by: fhunter Go to Quoted Post

If you are Principal Contractor you should providing this and also have on site management in place for the entire duration of your appointment as PC. 

Agreed, i now need to put a plan in place to make sure we do this and it is controlled, we do attend site for the duration we are PC but might not be there on a daily basis, we have contractors on site that we trust to carry out the works. 

Kate  
#14 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:37:49(UTC)
Kate

OK I see.  If you are the principal contractor it seems crazy to me to delegate the provision of welfare facilities to your contractors.  You really should be organising this, it is one of your key responsibilities!

When you say you are not always on site, do you mean that at times no one is on site?  You need to know who is going to be on site when and make sure facilities are available at those times.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
bhyslop  
#15 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:38:50(UTC)
bhyslop

id just like to say thank you for all the replies, sorry my post is vague. im currently trying to get my head around the whole process. 

I still need to learn alot about the company and the way they work, but ive been told we act as principal contractor, but this is only for a short period to make sure the highways are in a fit state for the house builders.

this being teh case i think we should have welfare facilities onsite at the begining of the contract until the day all our contractors and ourselves leave site. 

fhunter  
#16 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:39:48(UTC)
fhunter

Our posts crossed with similar thoughts, fhunter!

Yes they did - great minds and all that!!

Kate  
#17 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:41:26(UTC)
Kate

A tip about trusting contractors :-)

Never trust contractors!

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
boigy77 on 04/04/2018(UTC)
fhunter  
#18 Posted : 04 April 2018 09:44:46(UTC)
fhunter

id just like to say thank you for all the replies, sorry my post is vague. im currently trying to get my head around the whole process. 

I still need to learn alot about the company and the way they work, but ive been told we act as principal contractor, but this is only for a short period to make sure the highways are in a fit state for the house builders.

this being teh case i think we should have welfare facilities onsite at the begining of the contract until the day all our contractors and ourselves leave site. 

The on-site management is a massive red flag for, if your company is the Principal Contractor they are legally responsibile for the management and monitoring of the site during the period of the appointment. Trusting sub-contractors is well and good until there is an accident and there is fingers being pointed - I would not like to try and defend a PC who didn't even have site presence at the time. 

Steve e ashton  
#19 Posted : 04 April 2018 13:49:36(UTC)
Steve e ashton

People who state things as legal requirements should ensure they know what the law requires. CDM does NOT require the PC to provide welfare facilities.... The duty is to ensure that facilities are provided.... The PC may choose to provide for all site personnel on some projects or may choose to include a suitable specification in contracts with his subbies (always ensuring competence and resources, and controlling on site to ensure compliance.
thanks 1 user thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
bhyslop  
#20 Posted : 04 April 2018 13:52:50(UTC)
bhyslop

Originally Posted by: Steve e ashton Go to Quoted Post
People who state things as legal requirements should ensure they know what the law requires. CDM does NOT require the PC to provide welfare facilities.... The duty is to ensure that facilities are provided.... The PC may choose to provide for all site personnel on some projects or may choose to include a suitable specification in contracts with his subbies (always ensuring competence and resources, and controlling on site to ensure compliance.

Thank you for your response, i think currently we are looking at ways to specify what we want on site but also the best way to control this as we have been lacking the control side. 

the other option would be for us to arrange welfare facilities and let all contracts use it. need to assess all our option decide whats based and come up with a company standard.