Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doobrifurkin  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2018 14:45:31(UTC)
Doobrifurkin

Hello to you all and thanks for reading my post.

I wanted to ask my peers what methods and types of media used of delivering HSE inductions to new starters and transferees from other sites to that particular site within your organisation. 

At present, there is no formalised system of delivering a robust, suitable and sufficient HSE induction to new starters that join the Organisation.

In the past I have used a tried and tested paper based system; however, as many of the systems within my organisation are web-based or electronic, I wanted to ask what systems you use, if it is a bought of the shelf product or have you had a tailor made system and what issues did you have creating it and if you still use a paperbased system, have you started to make it electronic in anyway to satisfy those in other departments?

I apologise if this request is a little vague as I am not trying to ask for systems from any of you or any other documentation, I want to get an indsight to see if you've encountered a similar problem and how you have gone about refining and updating the system being used in your organisation.

TIA,

LeanneD  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2018 15:26:08(UTC)
LeanneD

we have a powerpoint presentation that was put together by my colleague that we deliver to new staff and contractors,both directly and non-directly employed.

We also show a slips trips and falls DVD complete with ham acting and cheesy case studies!

Bigmac  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2018 15:28:56(UTC)
ArturK

I use presentation in PowerPoint which is specific to the business needs including OH&S policy and objectives and where to find it, OH&S responsibilities (as per requirements of OHSAS 18001 / ISO 45001).

I do Induction face to face as from my experience participiants are asking questions and you can interact with them. 

DHeptinstall  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2018 15:50:15(UTC)
DHeptinstall

I transferred my paper-based inductions to iAuditor recently, which I find much better. Instead of filing or scanning in the paper-based copy I can send myself a pdf directly (which I then save on the network).

Face to face inductions are critical I think. I try to schedule one-on-one inductions, although I will do groups if necessary. 

The induction is standardized, but with a section to identify any additional inductions or training required.

The induction is broken down into sections - fire, first aid, COSHH, DSE, maternity etc. and the depth of each section depends on the job (e.g. an office based role will not go into specifics on COSHH, just basics, but a COSHH-centric role will be much more in depth).

thanks 1 user thanked DHeptinstall for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 05/04/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2018 16:30:24(UTC)
Kate

I introduced a face to face Powerpoint presentation in which the main section was photographs of carefully selected hazards in the workplace (most of these were staged on site) and I asked them what they thought the problem was in the picture and what they would do about it.  Then I told them these hazards were why we had site rules and introduced said rules.  This was followed by a tour of the building.  The approach was popular and people remembered the hazards that I emphasised.  It worked best with a small group.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2018 09:22:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

My current employer (HE Sector) has a somewhat fragmented approach to inductions. At my previous employer (Civil Service) we had a more formal approach.

There, the inductions were run weekly and nobody was issued with a full pass or IT password until they had completed the induction process.

Part 1 was general orientation which lasted a day:

• Shown around the site including location of toilets and canteen etc.
  • Sessions of the responsibilities of civil servants, diversity, organisation’s mission statement etc.
  • IT introduction
  • HSW talk- 45 minutes explaining what the organisations HSW duties were and their responsibilities under the law and the organisation’s policies. NUMBER ONE RESPOSBILITY WAS TO ASK QUESTIONS!

Certain types of people were given extra H&S talks including those working in labs and doing fieldwork- explaining to them how the system for risk assessment worked- again each talk was about 45 minutes

Finally local managers were expected to fill in the gaps and explain how the H&S system worked in their area eg they were  give a tour of their local area, showing them where the fire exits were, who the first aiders were, where PPE was stored etc.