Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nic168  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2018 14:28:16(UTC)
nic168

11 days into the new job and I have an accident report concerning someoen who gripped the handrail, found it slippery, lost their grip and bruised themselves and pulled some muscles. They are not work today as a result.

I have checked the rail, its fine, pulls up and down as it should and the area hase been clean and tidy all day ( cleaning etc is generally of a high standard here). The rail was always dry and is not posistioned so that splatter from the sink would be an issue.

I am assurred that the alarm works and that asistance was prompt including a first aider ( will confirm with IP seperately).

Is there anything else I ought to check? Any thoughts?

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
DavidGault on 09/04/2018(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2018 15:01:58(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

I wouldn't focus too much time on it personally. If the handle was fine and fault free, put it down to user error and move on. You can get really tied up dealing with Low risk incidents.

thanks 1 user thanked Mr.Flibble2.0 for this useful post.
douglas.dick  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2018 15:08:48(UTC)
douglas.dick

This could easily have been down to hand cream/moisturiser applied before some time going to the toilet etc. Unless you can see what could reasonably have been done to avoid the accident, then there is little you can do.

thanks 1 user thanked douglas.dick for this useful post.
Charlie Brown  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2018 18:14:07(UTC)
Charlie Brown

If there were no issues with the rail then perhaps the ip could use some specific training about how to use the facilities correctly, i.e. ensure that the handrail is dry, ensure your hands are dry and not covered in moisturiser/ hand cream etc before use.

thanks 1 user thanked Charlie Brown for this useful post.
julietpowell on 05/04/2018(UTC)
boblewis  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2018 18:42:44(UTC)
boblewis

Remember though that the duty of care to the disabled is higher than towards the able as such accidents may have a more severe outcome because of their disability.  Drop down rails without a leg can also be intrinsically more unstable than those with a leg.

thanks 1 user thanked boblewis for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2018 08:44:34(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Disabled toilets should be designated as being left hand, right hand or both sides accessible. (In reality I have only seen this in handful of premises) Could it be that the person was accessing the toilet from the “wrong” side, i.e. using their weaker side to support themselves as they got on the toilet?

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 06/04/2018(UTC), KEITH ROWSON on 06/04/2018(UTC), DavidGault on 09/04/2018(UTC)