Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2018 07:23:50(UTC)
thunderchild

So, we have a dead scissor lift on site, this happens regularly.....apparently. I had a near miss / unsafe act told to me (not yet got them to report stuff but getting told about things is a start). Allegedly the scissor lift was being transported on the forks of the FLT (this is not disputed) then depending on who you speak to it either slipped off the forks on one side and hit the ground causing a bang or it started to slip so the forks were lowered.

Now, there are no lifting points on the scissor so as far as I am concerned we should in no way be lifting this with the FLT, we don’t have a nice smooth surface and we have blind bends and automatic doors. However we do only have one place in the rather large site that can charge it.

So the question is, how do you shift a dead scissor?

The sensible thing would be to realise its low on battery and get it back to base to charge or have more charging locations (won't happen).

Anyone else have this issue? How did you resolve it? I have possibly suggested that the scissor be secured to the FLT but I don't like that either.

FYI, the FLT can take the weight of the scissor it’s just an unstable load.

Any suggestions / ideas appreciated

fhunter  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2018 07:44:21(UTC)
fhunter

I would assess the options you have, I presume any sort of towing is out of the equation? 

In your position, I would agree that the best way is using the FLT to lift the scossor lift back to the area. Surely there is a way you can assess this lift and make it safe by introducing straps etc. and securing the load better. From my experience with scissor lifts (obviously without knowing the specific model here) they are fairly evenly weighted to lifting in a stable manner would be acheivable. 

Additional training would be beneficial particulaly relating to the low battery part you talk about, your comment "won't happen" seems to be to be an oppurtunity to show managers how removing this hazard (dead scissor) is impacting productivoty (everyone's time and effort moving it back to charge point) and safety (by having to move it when it is dead).  

thunderchild  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2018 07:56:45(UTC)
thunderchild

We wont have additional charging points as we are looking to move so the costs of the installation wont get buy off.

Can't tow it, I asked that and apparently when the battery is dead the wheels cant move, no "neutral" for want of a better description. I asked this yesterday.

I'm not happy with having the FLT lift it but I do think its the only way we can move it and did suggest yesterday that it be seccured with straps. It cant just be moved unsecured around the site.

Andy123  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2018 08:29:55(UTC)
Andy123

Thinking out side the box maybe you could look at a power pack that will give just enough power to move scissor lift to charging point ? worth asking you scissor lift provider for advice .I am sure your not the only company who has this problem

thunderchild  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2018 08:48:13(UTC)
thunderchild

Originally Posted by: Andy123 Go to Quoted Post

Thinking out side the box maybe you could look at a power pack that will give just enough power to move scissor lift to charging point ? worth asking you scissor lift provider for advice .I am sure your not the only company who has this problem

Its not outside the box as I have thought about it and will be suggesting it. 

DaveBridle  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2018 09:46:45(UTC)
DaveBridle

Our fitters when attending plant breakdowns etc. utilise a portable "Jump" pack.  Basically a portable battery charger to allow sufficient charge to the equipment battery to allow it to be started and moved etc.

Failing that how about arranging for fitting a new battery??

Much simpler and safer.......

thanks 1 user thanked DaveBridle for this useful post.
webstar on 06/04/2018(UTC)
Stuart Smiles  
#7 Posted : 08 April 2018 18:52:41(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

if its a jlg, we have/had a jlg1932, and it suffered from the instability you discuss,

a) being long compared to the forks

and

b) being heavy and having quite a far off centre of gravity in relation to the forklift.

consider: 

you can get longer forks for the forklift, for the fork holes along the body, and does the forlkift comfortably lift at the distance that the centre of gravity. 

b) consider the forklift being used to do the lift and if it could be swapped for one which perhaps is heavier and suited for a bigger load and longer forks, depending on other requirements.

c) as has been discussed further up, straps round it or to the anchor points at the bottom to brackets on the forklift or wrapping round to the machine to an attachment point on the forklift frame/guard (of sufficient structural strength) and so that it moves when you lift, carry and lower in relation to the forks/frame. 

if you aren't confident with straps, consider chains, but i'd be concerned they would likely be considered too much of a faff to be used all the time by the lads. 

do a little video with a camera on a tripod, and get it so that the procedure is simple, quick and easy to do, with a box that lives with the machine which has everything in it. 

once you have procedure, video, watch together and get everyone to sign to say they'll do it after they've had opportunity to improve things and make it easy. 

with reference to the batteries, we bought some from manbatt, after cleaning up connections between batteries inside the battery box, topping up where possible, with de-ionised water, and charging with tops off to see if the cells were bubbling to identify dead cells. (some are totally sealed, so you can't see the dead cells). 

fred_x  
#8 Posted : 01 June 2018 01:03:19(UTC)
fred_x

on most of the MEWP'S i have worked on  there is a method of releasing the fluid brake.

i would advise taking a look at the manual as a first step.

Hsquared14  
#9 Posted : 01 June 2018 08:20:19(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would never try to move a "dead" MEWP with a fork lift truck, its inherently dangerous, especially if you fit longer forks to the FLT this changes the load lifting capacity of the truck (reduces it considerably) and also makes the truck more unstable.  The operation manual for the vehicle will tell you how to move it safely.  If you don't have the manual then you can download it from the manufacturer's website.

Charlie Brown  
#10 Posted : 01 June 2018 18:59:31(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Thunderchild,

For most small electric scissor lifts there are definetely provisions made for lifting them with a forklift, usually a pair of box sections running the length of the machine and marked as flt lifting points and if done correctly this is quite safe. In fact, this is done every day for collecting dead machines from site or even in the interest of making the loading process a lot faster.

You must however check the operators manual as quite often, people will lift them incorrectly and can in fact cause damage to essential safety components such as pot hole protection bars which are fitted along the bottom of the machine at each side or they can cause irreperable damage to the scissor components or decks. I have seen this many times and have billed customers huge sums for damaging the machines in these ways.

Never lift a scissor lift from the side unless the manual states that this is acceptable and never never ever lift it from the deck.

Additionally, you must use a forklift that is capable of carrying the machine considering that in most cases the forklift points are longitudinal from either the front or rear of the machine and the centre of gravity of the load can be qiute a way foward of the flt mast.

If the scissor lift is not fitted with lifting points for flts they all have lifting points for cranes and these are also in the ops manual and should also be marked on the machine.

If in doubt, contact the company you hired it from and if you own the machine, contact the manufacturer.

BTW, all scissor lifts have a means for releasing the brakes but this is not something you want to do unless you have been properly trained and is meant more for movine a machine in an emergency situation.

Signed

Ex Depot Manager and then H&S Manager for a large plant hire company