Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattSmith189  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2018 10:52:58(UTC)
MattSmith189

I know this question has been asked before but on the forum search it dates back to 2007 which was a little while ago!

We have an X-Ray on site which is used to X-Ray components we make. This covered by a maintenance contract.

I've not previously worked with anything radioactive before so I’m a little bit blank on knowledge. Do we need an RPA (Radiation Protection Advisor) or and RPS (Radiation Protection Supervisor)

I've found courses for the RPS which seems to be two days or there abouts. From what I gather further an RPA is someone who has more of a sciencey background.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2018 10:56:35(UTC)
Kate

There is some recent HSE guidance following an update of the regulations, which it sounds like you should familiarise yourself with:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/radiation/ionising/index.htm

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/04/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2018 11:11:40(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I get the impression that your knowledge of ionising radiation is low to non-existent and I suspect that the use of your X-ray machine almost certainly comes under the Ionising Regs (new version came into use January this year). The HSE guidance is still a bit technical (Do you know what a Becquerel is? How much exposure in milli Sieverts you can have as an employee? ). Get yourself an RPA (it’s usually an external consultant): they will tell you if you come under the Regs, and what things you must do to manage this piece of equipment safely and (it’s prescriptive, rather than risk based) comply with the regulations.  

MattSmith189  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2018 11:18:42(UTC)
MattSmith189

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

I get the impression that your knowledge of ionising radiation is low to non-existent

You'd be right there. That's why I asked the question.

Thanks for your help.

Jane Blunt  
#5 Posted : 07 April 2018 09:10:34(UTC)
Jane Blunt

If it comes under the regulations (and it probably does) you definitely need some advice from an RPA. Once you have this, they will probably only need to visit once a year to see how things are going.

X-ray equipment is not radioactive, and when you have switched it off there is no radiation risk as all. All the commercial equipment I have come across has been very well shielded and interlocked, so it is unlikely anyone would receive a dose of radiation unless they actively interfered with the enclosure.

You will need 'local rules' for its use, and the safety elements of the equipment need to be checked at periods prescribed by law. It is possible that your maintenance contract is doing this, but you need to check as there is no guarantee whatever that the contract was drawn up with this in mind. Again the RPA will advise you on what to look out for and what the rules should consist of.

thanks 1 user thanked Jane Blunt for this useful post.
MattSmith189 on 09/04/2018(UTC)
Carrier33701  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2018 14:05:15(UTC)
Carrier33701

Hi Matt would strongly suggest to seek the opinion of an RPA as the regs have recently changed and so have the permitting requirements. I use a chap called Raj Bunger from a company called Aurora, nice chap, very straight and will ensure that you are put on the straight and narrow. If you need more details let me know. Cheers
thanks 1 user thanked Carrier33701 for this useful post.
andrewcl  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2018 14:43:55(UTC)
andrewcl

Quick crash course in ionising radiation then... An RPA is a Radiation Protection Advisor and advises on the requirements of the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR).  This is why everyone is saying you should get in touch with one.

An RPS is a Radiation Protection Supervisor and generally speaking has experience of the workplace as well as some knowledge of the IRR and the local rules for their area, but really needs to be in touch with the RPA quite often to confer on the radiation protection of the workers.

Local rules are a legally required document that relate to a (specific) workplace where sources of radiation and/or radioactive materials are used. They tell you where the designated areas are, who the RPS is, what routine work goes on, what the emergency responses are (and more), and it is a legal requirement that workers in the area have read and understood them.

Designated areas are either "Supervised" or "Controlled", and give you an idea as to the level of risk from Radiation and/or Contamination in those areas - also legally required.

The RPA should be able to advise on dosimetry and an Approved Dosimetry Service (ADS) to administer dose badges and radiation passbooks, as well as other controls for the radiography you will be doing.

If you go to the link, posted above by Kate, and use the link on the left hand side "Industrial Radiography", there is good advice there on registering on their notification system (Get addvice from your RPA about this too).  Under the IRR2017, there is a requirement to notify the HSE when you will be doing radiography, but it looks like it is all done online, so you need to register.

Hope this gives you a starter, at least...

thanks 1 user thanked andrewcl for this useful post.
MattSmith189  
#8 Posted : 09 April 2018 14:50:21(UTC)
MattSmith189

Thanks for that Andrew :) I've contacted the guy Carrier33701 recommended and we're working through it from there.

Invictus  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2018 08:06:22(UTC)
Invictus

Why not ask the company you have completing the annual leak test which is a legal requirement they normally run training courses.

hilary  
#10 Posted : 10 April 2018 11:48:21(UTC)
hilary

Our RPA is connected withthe organisation that we bought our X Ray machines from and they arranged RPS training on our site for 6 people and it was very reasonably priced because we pay for the RPA.

See if your RPA can provide this.