Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chrissie38  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2018 10:35:52(UTC)
Chrissie38

Hi everyone, I am doing a risk assessment on an employee with special needs. He has a mobility issue where he can only go down stairs backwards. What would be recommended for evacuation in the event of a fire. Office building plan is full evacuation onto street. Also I recommended safety shoes for him to wear as he works in a store room delivering boxes to depts using trolley. Are there Velcro ones? Thanks 😀
Kate  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2018 10:47:27(UTC)
Kate

For evacuation I would suggest a 'buddy' system to see they get down safely, probably at the end of the queue if their exit would delay others.  It might be a colleague or a fire marshal who does this and they would need a briefing in what to do.

Arco have some safety footwear with velcro fastening, although the styles don't look very suitable: https://www.arco.co.uk/search?event=search&Ntt=footwear+velcro&eSearch=Products

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Chrissie38 on 11/04/2018(UTC)
O'Donnell54548  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2018 10:50:41(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Speak to the employee with reference to their PEEP, in most cases individuals are willing to do things in an emergency which would be unacceptable on a day to day basis.

thanks 2 users thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
Chrissie38 on 11/04/2018(UTC), lorna on 11/04/2018(UTC)
Chrissie38  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2018 11:03:01(UTC)
Chrissie38

It is a hospital environment with office buildings. This all came to light as he had a stumble a few weeks ago. Manager asked me to do a RA.
watcher  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2018 11:47:16(UTC)
watcher

I've had similar with some students

As part of their PEEPs, we put in buddy systems, as sggested by Kate.

They waited in the safe point in the stairwell, then evacuated when they were not in danger of being crushed.

We also had seperate muster points, depending on the level of disability, and the "budd" would desposit them, and then report in to the fire marshall.

On one occasion, the buddy forgot to alert them when it was safe to return, so its worth emphasising how that is managed too

thanks 1 user thanked watcher for this useful post.
Chrissie38 on 21/04/2018(UTC)
Redspright  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2018 17:10:52(UTC)
Redspright

When you are developing the PEEP it is very important to involve the employee - they are the best at judging their capabilities and requirements.

It is also very important that both the employee and the assigned buddy assisting with evacuation fully comprehend what they should be doing in an emergency.

The effectiveness of the PEEP should also be evaluated with a fire drill. You may need to make changes to the plan if the process of assisting the employee down the stairs is laborious and not quick enough. In that case you may need to consider using evacuation equipment such as an evacuation chair.

thanks 1 user thanked Redspright for this useful post.
Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2018 12:12:06(UTC)
Hsquared14

Just a quick off the wall thought - if this is a hospital then you should have at least one protected "fire" lift that can be used for evacuation of  non-ambulant patients in a fire situation.   If this is the case then I would recommend that the individual use the fire lift.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.