Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Clare Stockdale  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:04:37(UTC)
Clare Stockdale

I work in a secondary academy and I have noticed that a few teachers are starting to use plug in air fresheners in their classrooms. I can recall hearing that these can be the cause of fires. Does anyone know if the use of these are permited in schools.

Thanks

chris.packham  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:13:15(UTC)
chris.packham

Apart from fires, take a look at the chemical used in them. These may contain sensitisers that can cause health issues when emitted into the environment. There are case studies on this.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
chris42 on 12/04/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:26:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Tend to be more with Chris regarding what is being emitted rather than the fire aspect

Given schools ban a lot of items e.g. nut containing food stuffs through allergy concerns it needs to consider what may be being given off and its potential impact upon staff and students (if an aerosol pump where was it diluted - microbial concerns, if a heated difusser what are the breakdown products)

Just reading another California "Cancer" warning - this time for coffee as the roasting process "gives rise" to acrylamide

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 12/04/2018(UTC), chris42 on 12/04/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:26:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Tend to be more with Chris regarding what is being emitted rather than the fire aspect

Given schools ban a lot of items e.g. nut containing food stuffs through allergy concerns it needs to consider what may be being given off and its potential impact upon staff and students (if an aerosol pump where was it diluted - microbial concerns, if a heated difusser what are the breakdown products)

Just reading another California "Cancer" warning - this time for coffee as the roasting process "gives rise" to acrylamide

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 12/04/2018(UTC), chris42 on 12/04/2018(UTC)
lorna  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2018 14:32:09(UTC)
lorna

If anyone is sensitive to perfume, plug-in air fresheners are the worst things - I work in the education sector and remove any that I see. I also have an issue with the ones in toilets that spray automatically.

thanks 1 user thanked lorna for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2018 08:37:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Why introduce a new substance into a work environment when you do not need it?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2018 11:41:07(UTC)
Hsquared14

Like everyone else I am against them - I think the fire issues have been resolved but they can and do spell trouble for anyone who suffers from asthma or allergies - get rid asap and make sure that teachers know that these are not to be brought in from home.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
ExDeeps  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2018 12:09:33(UTC)
ExDeeps

Might just be me, but interesting that some appear to advocate just removing the devices. I would suggest adopting a coaching approach would in the long run work better, especially in an educational environment where in my limited experience as a Governor teachers can become very defensive if "told" to do something.

Alternatively, and tongue in cheek, make up some fake but credible line about Ofsted not liking them and marking schools down if they see, or smell any during an inspection. Whatever you do don't mention H&S trumping Ofsted! ;-)

thanks 1 user thanked ExDeeps for this useful post.
Safety Shadow on 13/04/2018(UTC)
lorna  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2018 13:02:30(UTC)
lorna

Originally Posted by: ExDeeps Go to Quoted Post

Might just be me, but interesting that some appear to advocate just removing the devices. I would suggest adopting a coaching approach would in the long run work better, especially in an educational environment where in my limited experience as a Governor teachers can become very defensive if "told" to do something.

Alternatively, and tongue in cheek, make up some fake but credible line about Ofsted not liking them and marking schools down if they see, or smell any during an inspection. Whatever you do don't mention H&S trumping Ofsted! ;-)

Somehow I don't think my asthma attack & weeping eyes are a f'ake but credible line' - they make people (like me) quite ill so why would you need to coach/persuade anyone to remove them??

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2018 13:11:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

Somehow I don't think my asthma attack & weeping eyes are a f'ake but credible line' - they make people (like me) quite ill so why would you need to coach/persuade anyone to remove them??

Rather than coaching they need a good dose of mansplaining-I am good at that!

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2018 15:45:57(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

I can just see tomorrows Daily Mail headline 'Health & Safety ban air fresheners'

Even though they ran a story about how they cause cancer apprently

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3220306/Why-air-fresheners-scented-candles-wreck-health-cause-cancerous-DNA-mutations-asthma.html

georgiaredmayne  
#12 Posted : 12 April 2018 16:08:53(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

Hi, We have these in the three of our HQ offices in each of the toilets. We have had one person have an issue with them bearing in mind we have around 1000 people located in each of them. In that case we just removed them from two of the toilets (the individual is permanent member of staff, doesn’t travel to other sites and if one toilet is out of order for cleaning maintenance or repairs the other can be used. Works for us. However it’s up to you what approach you take on it.
ExDeeps  
#13 Posted : 12 April 2018 19:10:54(UTC)
ExDeeps

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: lorna Go to Quoted Post

Rather than coaching they need a good dose of mansplaining-I am good at that!

My point is, given the OP has said teachers are choosing to place these things rather than the school placing them, if you provide the teacher with the right information they may well choose to voluntarily remove the devices themselves. No one likes being told to do something "because I say so / Health and safety" so surely that's the long game way to win rather than annoy teachers who likely will ignore you soon as youve moved on. I sympathise with anyone who has asthma, just think about the tone and message - it can be part of the message about why they may not be a good idea. 

Just my thoughts,

Jim

Edited by user 12 April 2018 19:11:41(UTC)  | Reason: fat fingers

thanks 1 user thanked ExDeeps for this useful post.
Kate on 12/04/2018(UTC)