Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2018 10:33:08(UTC)
thunderchild

Morning chaps and chapesses!

Can anyonetell me what the official qualification for a power press settter is? A quick Google only gave me general safety training courses.

Thanks in advance.

UncleFester  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2018 11:27:03(UTC)
UncleFester

As far as I am aware there is no official qualification. There are requirements under PUWER that must be satisfied as regards adequate training for those persons preparing presses for use and those who test and inspects guards and other safety devices.

There are a number of training course providers who ensure that their training covers PUWER and HSE L112. I would seek out a suitable provider.

paul.skyrme  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2018 11:43:15(UTC)
paul.skyrme

As above, power press setters were always semi-skilled, operators who were trained up to be able to set the machines up and do basic checks on guards.

thunderchild  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2018 12:08:40(UTC)
thunderchild

That will be why Google didn't give me any results.

OK, how would you prove competence? as again, if we have an accident I need to be able to prove this and at the moment I cannot other than the setter giving a verbal description.

georgiaredmayne  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2018 16:18:48(UTC)
georgiaredmayne

You could create a task observation form which could be used in conjunction with your risk assessment assuming you have one for the use of the power press. The task observation form could be used by people with experience on the use of the power press and yourself to understand whether individuals are adopting the appropriate control measures when in use. Just a thought if there are no training programmes out there. On the other hand you could always contact the manufacturer to assist with a train the trainer qualification for an individual to teach? The manufacturer may also be able to assist with the task observation form.