Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pmarsdenx  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2018 09:28:51(UTC)
pmarsdenx

Hello IOSH community,

First time I've posted to the forum, I am currently trying to understand, and more to the point create some kind of spreadsheet to identify and manage comah applicable materials, volumes rise and fall so I need first to identify and class the materials and then update on a regular basis to establish what tier if any is applicable. To date volumes have been below the thresholds. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Struggling to understand the guidance on aggregation and applying it.

Kind regards

Paul M

Kate  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2018 09:49:41(UTC)
Kate

I assume you have looked at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l111.pdf including the worked examples. 

Can you give an example (it need not be of your real materials, classifications or quantities) of an aggregation you are having difficulty with?  Or is it more about how to write the formulas in the spreadsheet (I assume Excel)?

pmarsdenx  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2018 10:18:10(UTC)
pmarsdenx

Hi Kate

thanks for your reply, quite right looked at the published HSE doc, helped quite a bit with the worked examples but my weak spot is the Excel end of it... once again thanks...

Kind regards

Paul M

Kate  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2018 10:38:48(UTC)
Kate

OK so I guess what you have to start with is a sheet showing the name of each material, which categories it falls into and how much of it you have, and you want to write formulas using those data to do the aggregations?

How have you set this up, what does it look like in terms of rows and columns?

For example if I was doing this I would probably list materials vertically and categories horizontally, colour code the cells to show which categories were applicable to each material, have a column next to the material name in which I entered the quantity, and then for each cell colour coded as applicable tell it to equal that quantity (a formula like =$B2).  (That can be done either manually or by conditional formatting.)

Then you can write formulas involving each column.

Edited by user 16 April 2018 10:41:07(UTC)  | Reason: corrected Excel formula

stevedm  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2018 13:08:50(UTC)
stevedm

Paul you have a PM.  :)