Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shell56006  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2018 11:45:22(UTC)
shell56006

we have VNA's on site (man Up trucks) fitted with harnesses and safety ropes for escape

all operators have annual rope escape training at height  (ref HSE Rope evacuation from MHE)

Ops director has decided the risk of training out weighs the risk of someone being stuck in truck and wanted training stopped - i refused explained about the need to escape in an emergency such as a fire or break down of truck with forks stuck in location (where we cant bring a truck down manually) (trainer in total agreement with me)

so he wants ladders ??

I am astonished by this Trucks go up to F Level in racking ladders would need to be able to reach 9 meters - and staff would have to climb out over controls /dash of VNA to access ladders - we would put more people at risk during a fire to go get the ladders to get the person down thats before even looking at number of ladders we require and spec etc  suggested consulting Insurance fire risk assessor/local fire inspector and staff for their views on this

no he want ladders?  have given him section 2 + 37 of the HASAW act plus the HSE document mentioned above - No he is willing to sign off a RA to say no rope escape - ladder escape (plus we have high level sprinklers and fire marshals so im being way over cautious) Have explained high level sprinklers fire inspector and Fire marshall training states anything over a waste paper bin size fire - you dont fight - you just get everyone out

trucks have been stuck in air twice before but forks were not in racking so it was brought down ok - VNA maintenence firm we use are in agreement with me we should give them rope escape training Trainer always reccomends it is done at full height so drivers experience the worst ace scenario thich staff all think is great...

i am up against a brick wall....

Any advice where i go from here please would be greatly appreciated?

Edited by user 18 April 2018 11:50:03(UTC)  | Reason: added comment

thanks 1 user thanked shell56006 for this useful post.
DavidGault on 24/04/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2018 12:47:28(UTC)
Kate

Is he genuinely worried that the rope escape / training is dangerous or is there something else behind this reluctance?

Edited by user 18 April 2018 12:48:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shell56006  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2018 13:09:57(UTC)
shell56006

Thanks Kate -

Now it may be about losing face as when he originally brought this up - i said we must provide them with training - he said show me where its law to provide training - I quickly replied "seriously" the health and safety at work act 1974 is the LAW you must be referring to - he said show me where rope escape is LAW

he has stated he will sign any Risk Assessment saying we dont need to do this - I refuse to give him a RA saying this is an option - He will need someone else to do this RA for him as i feel portable ladders will be a bigger danger than the rope escape

Woolf13  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2018 13:28:12(UTC)
Woolf13

You should be referring to the HSE Guidance Note PM28 Working Platforms (non-integrated) on Forklift trucks, the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations and specifically the Work at Height Regulations (WAH) and the heirarchy for work at work. All are free to download on the HSE website.

In particular the WAH sections on:

• organisation and planning
  • competence
  • selection of work equipment for work at height which includes "the need for easy and timely evacuation and rescue in an emergency"

Certain regulations have duties which are stronger than so far as is....If you are still having no joy, because the above backs up what you and the training orgnaisation are saying, then personally I would get the senior manager/director to put in writing the reasons why your advice is being ignored as what he is suggesting breaches legal requirement and is palcing people at risk.

If you still have no look I would raise to the HSE. 

I hope you get the resolution you are looking for. 

thanks 2 users thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
shell56006 on 18/04/2018(UTC), DavidGault on 24/04/2018(UTC)
douglas.dick  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2018 15:35:09(UTC)
douglas.dick

Sounds like a previous Ops manager I encountered with initials CJ. It is often very difficult in these situations as ACOP's dont look like law, so are easily taken as simply guidance. I would put as much in writing and ensure you have copies of all the proper advice you give over this matter.

He is obviously not going to move on this, so it will be unlikely you are going to win. It could be interesting to time a rope escape and that of a ladder escape, which I have no doubt will show a marked difference in escape time, equipment and personel

thanks 1 user thanked douglas.dick for this useful post.
shell56006 on 18/04/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2018 17:17:46(UTC)
Kate

If it's about loss of face then you need to give him a way to save face, this could be by telling him how much you appreciate his concerns about safety and that you understand that on the face of it rope escape sounds crazy, but you have come up with some additional information (as suggested above) which throws some light on the matter, give him an opportunity to change his mind in the light of the new information, and perhaps even apologise that you didn't give him all this information in the first place to make it look like it is your fault and not his.

HSSnail  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2018 08:28:03(UTC)
HSSnail

I don’t know if this link will help you http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/200-299/282_31.htm I have known some companies move away from rope escape because of reported incidents during training and practice, but the means of escape should be through risk assessment. With the heights you are working ladders don’t sound like a viable option.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
DavidGault on 24/04/2018(UTC)
chris42  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2018 08:44:09(UTC)
chris42

Just to play devils advocate a moment. We are saying that in the event of an emergency situation ie the equipment breaks down while at height, there is a need to be able to escape and get back to ground level safely as per all HSE guidance etc noted above.

However, we are also saying that the use of ladders for this is not acceptable because it will take too long to get the ladders there. However, is this only an issue if you have a second emergency situation at exactly the same time ie a fire.

What are the odds of that happening? The equipment malfunctions at the same time as a fire?

Issues about climbing out to get to the ladder is surly the same as getting out to abseil down a rope, so the argument loses a little effect.

I think these issues as well as saving face are the issues you need to overcome. All the law and guidance suggest is a means of escape is needed, unless someone can actually find something that states abseiling is the preferred option. If anyone was going to know that, it would be the person selling the training, who are biased.

To help with convincing him, I would also note that ladder training would be required and then you have issues of tying off the ladder and someone footing it, where abseiling can be done just by the operative who is stuck. Additionally, if there are ladders around then there will be a temptation to use them for other things as well as rescue. Don’t know if there is a significant difference between a climbing rope and a ladder in terms of cost, but I suspect that each piece of equipment needs it own rope, were you may get away with one ladder. If you can try and show it is financially better to use a rope.

This does work as yesterday after months and many managers trying to sort out a particular issue. I pointed out the cost of damage to some equipment and the loss from downtime (oh and by the way putting 400v through an employee may be considered bad form) I also gave him a way of saving face. Low and behold he agreed to get the issue sorted – result!

As I said just to play devil’s advocate.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
GTD on 22/04/2018(UTC), DavidGault on 24/04/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2018 09:39:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would contact the RTIB and ask for their veiw.  Leaning ladders in this situation are unlikely to be stable enough to allow for safe escape due to the height and the fact that warehouse floors are not conducive to giving a safe non-slip surface for the ladder to rest on.  We have just had the training done here and I can assure you that it is carried out in a very safe and controlled manner.  I'd like to bet that cost is the main factor here.  You could also bring your training provider in to talk to this man and explain to him how the training is conducted.

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2018 15:57:23(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Previous place I worked ours went up to around 12 meters, that would be one hell of a ladder!

We could drop ours down via a hydraulic release, but if that wasn’t possible then abseiling was the option, however not all operators where capable of doing this due to fitness levels and quite simply not wanting too.

You would have to be really unlucky to get stuck up in the air the same time as a fire occurring.

davidjohn#1  
#11 Posted : 23 April 2018 20:44:51(UTC)
davidjohn#1

I have been faced with a similar situation in a previous job. We had VNA's in our warhouse accessing  highnay racks in excess of 10M. The operators then were using harnesses and ropes as a means of escape for the reasons you have given. 

The concern of Ops were the time delay to get the harnesses fitted and rope tied etc to escape quickly, moreso in the case of a fire. We eventually settled for a system whereby BSEN test safety harness backpacks were fitted in the cabs. These could be easily put on and allowed the operator to connect to a tested load bearing 'eye point' and absail to ground in a controlled decent very quickly. Same system used in large aircraft hangers.

Not sure if im breaking rules by naming the product and company. PM me and I can share details.

Best regardsDJ

Brian Campbell  
#12 Posted : 24 April 2018 09:23:40(UTC)
Brian Campbell

Any Working at Height operations where people are involved require a suitable and sufficient rescue plan in place (by LAW) (HSE Working at Height guidance paper) and this must be written into any risk assessment also.  Relying on someone else going and getting a ladder is totally unacceptable.  There other sources of rescue though other than ropes.  Check out Eursafe Solutions, they have a new self-rescue harness which is like a back pack which employees would need to wear all the time when operationg man-up equipment.  Very little training is also required for these.  Worth looking into.

thanks 1 user thanked Brian Campbell for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 24/04/2018(UTC)