Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2018 07:41:31(UTC)
JL

We have an employee who (in addition to his normal working week of 37.5 hours) has done an extra 66 hours over time this month, all having been signed of buy his manager. He has signed the company “opt out” agreement but I am concerned that he may be putting himself under a lot of stress. It is all desk top work but I get the feeling he would do more of required.

I’m finding hard to understand the working time Regs and how they would apply to employees willingly doing way more than expected ( I believe the hours can be measured over an average length of time in weeks rather than days)

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2018 09:43:35(UTC)
Hsquared14

Its unusual to have an opt out agreement without an absolute cap on it.  Have you checked your HR policy to see if there is a maximum anywhere in there.  What you need to do is work out if this person is achieving the 11hours rest period and 2 days of rest per week.  I don't think you can opt out of those two requirements.  I have found ACAS very helpful in the past when I have had to query something.  If you make an enquiry they work on a no names no pack drill basis.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
JL on 20/04/2018(UTC)
ExDeeps  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2018 11:06:41(UTC)
ExDeeps

First, and despite many people saying they have opt out clauses on the WTD, my understanding is opt out clauses in contracts have no standing and are effectively worthless.

As to the amount of overtime, as well as points made by H14, the Hrs need to be calculated as an average over 17weeks, so although your person may have put in 66Hrs overtime in a month (average 54Hrs per week over 4 weeks) if he does that as a one off for a project or other reason then stays at 37Hrs the rest of the time the averaged Hrs rapidly drops within acceptable limits (41.3 Hrs av over 17 weeks) (Note, counting on fingers and toes so if the maths is out so be it)

thanks 1 user thanked ExDeeps for this useful post.
JL on 20/04/2018(UTC)
Andrew W Walker  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2018 12:16:17(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

There is an opt out clause for the maximum working hours of the WTD- See Reg 4 & 5 for the details. This is for individuals- not groups of workers.

Also, I would check to see if there is a workforce agreement in place where the company can modify or exclude certain requirements. See reg 23 for details.

Hope this helps.

thanks 1 user thanked Andrew W Walker for this useful post.
JL on 20/04/2018(UTC)
johnmurray  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2018 18:12:06(UTC)
johnmurray

54 hours a week, after signing the opt-out, is hardly excessive.
At my last place the site workers regularly clocked 80hrs each week.
Even without the opt-out, 54hrs per week is "legal", and by agreement the period which hours are averaged over can be 52 weeks.
Holidays are not counted in the WTD calculation.
Different rules apply for under-18s and night workers.
djupnorth  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2018 13:28:23(UTC)
djupnorth

Hsquared14 and others have stated it correctly.  Provided the 11 hours continuous rest and no more than 6 consecutive days working rules are complied with the overtime is likely to be legal, if not altogether safe.  It is therefore an assessment of whether excessive overtime constitutes a health and safety risk that needs to be considered.

I trust this helps.

DJ

thanks 1 user thanked djupnorth for this useful post.
JL on 22/04/2018(UTC)
Andrew W Walker  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2018 08:12:13(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

This is taken from the WTD.

Weekly rest period
11.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), an adult worker is entitled to an uninterrupted rest period of
not less than 24 hours in each seven-day period during which he works for his employer.
(2) If his employer so determines, an adult worker shall be entitled to either—
(a) two uninterrupted rest periods each of not less than 24 hours in each 14-day period during
which he works for his employer; or
(b) one uninterrupted rest period of not less than 48 hours in each such 14-day period, in place of the entitlement provided for in paragraph (1).

The employee can work 12 consecutive days as long as they get 2 days off.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2018 08:30:13(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The key word in the original post is “stress”. It does not really matter how many hours the person is working, just if they are suffering excess stress. If they are then then the employers is expositing them to a hazard and not managing the risk appropriately. If you are concerned look at this HSE page http://www.hse.gov.uk/stress/standards/index.htm for guidance.

Charlie Brown  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2018 18:47:45(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Agreed, it depends on the employee. If an employee is stressed by the extra hours then they should be limited in the number of extra hours they can do.

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

The key word in the original post is “stress”. It does not really matter how many hours the person is working, just if they are suffering excess stress. If they are then then the employers is expositing them to a hazard and not managing the risk appropriately. If you are concerned look at this HSE page http://www.hse.gov.uk/stress/standards/index.htm for guidance.