Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidjohn#1  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2018 21:16:18(UTC)
davidjohn#1

Hi,

Can someone please confirm or point me to a suitable guide to get clarity on when fire wardens are required. I know the RRSFO states the need for confirming the building has been evacuated but this does not go into specifics.

I have a site where the have fire wardens and a full electronic swipe roll call. I aware of the intention of conducting a sweep but I want to know if fire wardens are required where a roll call takes place?

Would also be interested to know if there is a recommned distance (metres) to safely check a designated area?

Thnaks

DJ

Kate  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2018 06:42:40(UTC)
Kate

When you have had drills / false alarms, has it turned out that the roll call has quickly and accurately told you who was present on site and whether they were accounted for?

My experience has always been that it hasn't - which is why I don't like to rely on these systems and prefer fire marshal sweeps.

If it was reliable, you would have an argument that fire marshal sweeps were not necessary.  You would still need to consider how to be sure of evacuating people who might have difficulty in making their own way to the assembly point (visitors on their own who are not familiar with the site, people with disabilities).  And a plan for what you would do if your roll call showed someone unaccounted for,

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
DavidGault on 24/04/2018(UTC), JohnW on 24/04/2018(UTC)
kmason83  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:01:39(UTC)
kmason83

Hi David 

Your evacuation methods depend upon the complexties of your organistaion so a fire risk assesmsnet should determine what your arrangements and you should take into account wether you are public facing, your vistors, and any one who is not familier with the layout and the vulnerabilties of any employees, young poeple, expectant mothers, mobility impaired persons (this could include persons who have sufferd an injury so temporary). The distance of travel to inspect an area should take into account the protection offerd to a person expected to complete this duty so for example protected stairwells, protected corridors and the genral culture elements - meaning do people prop fire doors open with extinguishers, do you have door closers, do you have the walls plasterd with posters/signs etc. Its fair to say that the more poeple you can get involved generally helps everyone get out safely and quickly, it also helps cover absences.

Hope this  helps 

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:14:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As said it depends on your fire risk assessment which in turn depends on the sort of premises you are running. The link below goes to a government website that describes what you should be including in your Fire risk assessment for various types of premises

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-fire-safety-your-responsibilities/fire-risk-assessments

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
nic168 on 24/04/2018(UTC)
geordierfc  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:38:09(UTC)
geordierfc

Fire Marshals and Fire Wardens are appointed to help with the eveacuation procedure, however they should have comprehensive training.

The role includes:

Helping the public, visitors, and or disabled or vulnerable people - Checking designated areas to ensure everyone has eveacuated - Using fire fighting equipment - Shutting down viatl or dangerous equipment - Performing supervisory/managing role in any fire situation.

To do this they need training which should include:

Deatailed knowledge of fire safety strategy of the premises - Awareness of human behaviours in a fire situation - How to encourage others to use most appropriate escape route - How to search safely and recognise areas that are unsafe to enter - The difficulties some people may have ie disabled in escaping - any special pre planned evacuation arrangementts - addintional training in fire fighting equipment - An understanding of ot purpose of fixed fir efighting equipment such as sprinklers or gas flooding systems- the importance of reporting faults, incidents and near misses. 

As you can see this is quite indepth and is only the start, there is an immense anmount of work and training involved depending on your premises and its complexities.

If you need anything else let me know

O'Donnell54548  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2018 13:28:25(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: geordierfc Go to Quoted Post

Fire Marshals and Fire Wardens are appointed to help with the eveacuation procedure, however they should have comprehensive training.

The role includes:

Helping the public, visitors, and or disabled or vulnerable people - Checking designated areas to ensure everyone has eveacuated - Using fire fighting equipment - Shutting down viatl or dangerous equipment - Performing supervisory/managing role in any fire situation.

To do this they need training which should include:

Deatailed knowledge of fire safety strategy of the premises - Awareness of human behaviours in a fire situation - How to encourage others to use most appropriate escape route - How to search safely and recognise areas that are unsafe to enter - The difficulties some people may have ie disabled in escaping - any special pre planned evacuation arrangementts - addintional training in fire fighting equipment - An understanding of ot purpose of fixed fir efighting equipment such as sprinklers or gas flooding systems- the importance of reporting faults, incidents and near misses. 

As you can see this is quite indepth and is only the start, there is an immense anmount of work and training involved depending on your premises and its complexities.

If you need anything else let me know

Before embarking on any training programme you should carry out  a 'Training Needs Analysis' (TNA). You should clearly define the roles and responsibilities you have assigned to this position, and then use the TNA to ifdentify what skills and knowledge are required to carry out these duties safely.

Therefore the range and depth of the training you provide is appropriate and specific to your needs. The above quote is what geordierfc has identified as what they need, this may not reflect your requirements.