Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MattSmith189  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:39:38(UTC)
MattSmith189

Hi All, I wonder if you can help with a control measure that's come out of a Risk Assessment. One of our departments clips down the legs of electronic relays. For years they've been aiming them towards the ground or into the bin. However they still have the potential to ping and fly off. In this scenario I don't think just safety glasses are effective as they can ping to other benches. In my head a good measure would be some kind of clear perspex dome that the operator can put both hands in with the relay and clippers and trim down. Containing any debris. 

Finding something like this is near impossible on the internet so we may have to make something in house.

Has anyone else got any suggestions?

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:49:39(UTC)
Hsquared14

I think a start would be shielding around the work bench.  Then you can decide if you need anything more

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
MattSmith189 on 24/04/2018(UTC)
MattSmith189  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:52:20(UTC)
MattSmith189

Hi Hsquared

I'm not sure it's enough as the legs can still ping into the person who is cutting them. Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

Steve e ashton  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:55:45(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Why a dome? An inverted plastic fish tank with hand access holes would work? Ten quid at pat shop and ten minutes with a drill and jig saw. PPE last line of defence....
thanks 1 user thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
Doug32  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:55:50(UTC)
Doug32

Would a perspex screen placed in a deep tray between the user and the relay suffice? Have you considered another way of being able to do the work that does not involve "clipping" the legs? A control measure could include the use of different tools or working practises, not just the environment the work is being done. 

Alternatively sand and foam are good dampeners. 

thanks 1 user thanked Doug32 for this useful post.
Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2018 08:58:38(UTC)
Ian Bell2

A dome is a difficult shape to make.

Why can't it be an upturned box, with 'holes' at the working side to allow the operator to place his hands/tool/component inside, so the clippings can be captured.

Do you have a workshop/maintenance department? Buy some perspex sheet and manufacture your own capture box, if visibility is also required. I assume there is no significant impact energy from the clippings, so impact resistant polycarbonate isn't required - as used on machine guards.

Google 'perspex sheet suppliers' will surely give supplier details.

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
MattSmith189  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2018 09:02:32(UTC)
MattSmith189

Doesn't have to be a Dome by anymeans, that was just how I pictured it in my head.

It doesn't have to be particually heavy duty as these are quite fine off cuts.

We have someone who I think could make up something like this.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2018 12:21:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are the clippers themselves not capable of accepting some form of catch cup over the free end?

Or an automatic system sat over a waste bin where the action of inserting the relay clips the free ends at a pre-set length?

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2018 12:21:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Are the clippers themselves not capable of accepting some form of catch cup over the free end?

Or an automatic system sat over a waste bin where the action of inserting the relay clips the free ends at a pre-set length?