Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LATCHY  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2018 11:06:29(UTC)
LATCHY

Good Afternoon,

As any one started to complete the transition process concerning 18001, can I ask how you have found the transition and if the new requirements are in fact beneficial to the health and safety process, for all the the time it took to actually agree on the format there as only been 7 new requirements added, comments please

hilary  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2018 11:40:23(UTC)
hilary

I have only just started to look at it but, as I will be transitioning next week from 14001:2004 to 14001:2015 (I hope), the changes seem to be very much in line with the new 14001 standard built around Annex SL framework.

All H&S used to be quite inward facing.  You could get accreditation for what you were doing on your lonesome but the new standard forces you to look at your suppliers, your customers, your workforce, your shareholders and any other interested parties.  It makes you look at external items that may impact your ability to meet your H&S commitments.  As a result, you are no longer working independently, you are working together with your supply chain, your customers, etc, keeping an eye on new technologies, innovations, political changes, etc and spreading good H&S practice thoroughout your circle of influence.

It seems like small changes but if you consider the impact when taken up globally you can see that it's probably a game changer.

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2018 11:45:20(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Having obtained and read a copy of ISO45001, I can't believe people are spending money on 'converting' from 18001.

Its 'Emperors new clothes' any mature h&s/environmental management system will already cover these issues.

Sounds like free money for consultants. Better ways of spending money to improve h&s than ISO45001

hilary  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2018 11:50:07(UTC)
hilary

OHSAS 18001 is being withdrawn and replaced with ISO 45001.  There is no choice but to convert if you wish to maintain your accreditation.

Bigmac  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2018 15:16:06(UTC)
ArturK

Also custumers are asking for OHSAS 18001 / ISO 45001 accreditation, so will be very hard to avoid implementation and/or transition

Waz  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2018 16:14:04(UTC)
Waz

The key issue is Clause 4 and understanding the context of the organisation and determining the needs and expectations of interested parties.  Whilst mature HSMS will cover the majority of the other clauses, this is really the key point.  

So consider from a health and safety perspective what the needs and expectations of your stakeholders (internal and external) are, whilst also consider documenting a SWOT and, or PESTLE analysis.

thanks 1 user thanked Waz for this useful post.
Kate on 26/04/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 25 April 2018 16:47:06(UTC)
Kate

If your organisation also has ISO 9001, then it will be useful to look at that and build on it, because the new things that weren't in 18001 are very similar to the things that are already in 9001.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Steve Granger on 25/04/2018(UTC)
stuie  
#8 Posted : 25 April 2018 19:55:45(UTC)
stuie

'Fortunately' we are transitioning from the 'old' 9001 and 14001 to the 'new' before I get to deal with 45001 so the QM and Env Manager (with my input too) are leading the way; together we are building the whole 'new' systems etc around the three standards (oh and 50001 as well) so hopefully I will have the majority of the blocks in place before we look to move to 45001.

Context and interested parties (as Waz has said), as well as senoir management involvement and knowledge and understanding of the system are key.

Steve Granger  
#9 Posted : 25 April 2018 20:12:16(UTC)
Steve Granger

Stuie - thats the whole point; the standards will have common components so (theoretically) a cut and paste of the administration aspects from one to the other standard - or better still an integrated approach to all key management system titles.

Yes there are a few new bits of 'H&S' to deal with but these can be seen as widening the subject portfolio content and linking H&S with the wider corporate risk spectrum, to supplement rather than replace 18001 content.

LATCHY  
#10 Posted : 26 April 2018 06:11:02(UTC)
LATCHY

Good Morning, thank you to all who responded, we have all ready transitioned 9000 &14000 and as Waz mentioned one of our key documents in understanding the context and scope of our company was to complete a PESTLE and a SWOT analysis for both of the transitions we haev an intergrated system and thus alot of the requirements are mirrored throughtout the new standards, it was interesting to read other peoples views on the new standards, thank you and good luck to all who are to complete transitions for your company if I can help in any way please drop me a line

thanks 1 user thanked LATCHY for this useful post.
Steve Granger on 26/04/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 26 April 2018 08:47:43(UTC)
A Kurdziel

In case anyone asks (like me) PESTLE stands for:

• Political - What are the political factors that are likely to affect the business?
  • Economic - What are the economic factors that will affect the business?
  • Sociological - What cultural aspects likely to affect the business?
  • Technological - What technological changes that may affect the business?
  • Legal - What current and impending legislation that will affect the business?
  • Environmental- What are the environmental considerations that may affect the business?

Which makes sense.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Daniel G on 27/04/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#12 Posted : 26 April 2018 08:53:50(UTC)
Kate