Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rich_bannister  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2018 14:54:56(UTC)
rich_bannister

Quite a specific request this...

We use xylene and have a COSHH assessment completed for it.

We use methanol and also have a COSHH assessment for that.

We want to mix the 2 for use in an industrial cleaning application.

The COSHH assessment for xylene states that an A2 respirator is required (as the boiling point is above 65C); the COSHH assessment for methanol states that an AX respirator is needed (as the boiling point is below 65C).

Any ideas which respirator would be suitable for the mixture? It seems you can't get combined A2 and AX respirators.

Thanks!

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2018 15:10:28(UTC)
Hsquared14

Firstly I have to ask the question - why do you want to mix Xylene and Methanol to make a cleaning fluid mix?  There are some really good proprietary cleaning fluid mixes out there that are not as toxic and harmful as these two.  I would back off from use of either of these  as a cleaning material.  (BTW I have 11 years experience of the paint industry and we would never use either Xylene or Methanol to clean with,  for one thing they are too expensive!!)  Second question is what ratio are you mixing them?

rich_bannister  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2018 15:13:46(UTC)
rich_bannister

We need the mix for cleaning out crude oil sampling containers. Apparently it's the only thing that will do the job.

Not huge quantities, so the cost is acceptable..

It's a 50:50 mix.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2018 15:56:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

How big are these crude oil sampling containers? Couldn’t you do them in an enclosuree of some sort with LEV?

johnmurray  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2018 08:16:54(UTC)
johnmurray

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

How big are these crude oil sampling containers? Couldn’t you do them in an enclosuree of some sort with LEV?

It's cheaper to put employees at risk....just as it's cheaper to use masks instead of a full face mask with forced air supply....because Methanol is so non-toxic, harmless and non-flammable...

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2018 11:10:00(UTC)
peter gotch

I share John's implied scepticism as to whether there is not an inherently safer process for this.

JohnW  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2018 10:29:11(UTC)
JohnW

To answer Rich’s original question, I expect the 50:50 mixture will still have a boiling point below 65degC, and I suggest for PPE just treat it same as neat methanol.