Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2018 07:55:56(UTC)
thunderchild

So, in the Woodworking ACoP it states that larger machines should have a stopping time not excessing 35 seconds. What is considered a large machine?

We have a bandsaw, bench / table saw and a large disc sanding machine. Now to me these are all standard bits of kit in a woodworking room so are they large or not? To me 35 seconds with a band saw or bench saw is enough to take your arm off.

Am I overreacting or would a 10 second stop be reasonable?

Answers on a postcard please!

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2018 08:13:17(UTC)
Ian Bell2

You make a good point, what is large. Given the potential for injury from such machines, all rather arbitrary.. As regards times, are the machines relatively new? Can you identify what standard they have been designed to? There may be information within a design standard. It could be expensive to find out though, if you have to buy the standards for just a bit of information.
George_Young  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2018 08:40:01(UTC)
George_Young

I came arcoss this a while ago for narrow band saws.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis31.pdf

it states

"Braking

An automatic braking device has been a requirement on narrow band saws since 5 December 2005.1,4 The braked run-down time should be less than ten seconds, unless this would affect the integrity of the machine, in which case it should be less than 30 seconds."

Regards

George 

thunderchild  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2018 14:14:32(UTC)
thunderchild

In answer to the question age I think they came over on the ark!

As as to the integrity of the machine, well lI think that may get used as a cop-out not to get better braking on the machines.

I think this maybe a battle I cannot win and may stay at maximum 35 seconds.

Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2018 14:40:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Even Noah's band saw could be stopped relativley quickly - the machine integrity question is more toward the likley consequence of a sudden stop e.g. if there were a massive fly wheel drive as you cant disperse the energy safely in a short time frame

Most items found in a typical work shop should be capable of stopping in less than 10 seconds either by design or retrofit.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2018 14:40:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Even Noah's band saw could be stopped relativley quickly - the machine integrity question is more toward the likley consequence of a sudden stop e.g. if there were a massive fly wheel drive as you cant disperse the energy safely in a short time frame

Most items found in a typical work shop should be capable of stopping in less than 10 seconds either by design or retrofit.

paul.skyrme  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2018 21:14:15(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Large is a bandsaw with a pulley diameter >900mm.

One must be careful not to stop the machinery faster than its start time, except for where it must, to comply with the standard.

The stop time is NOT, to protect the person from injury, it is to stop in sufficient time such that a second operator approaching the machine would reach a machine with a stationary tool rather than one still running down to a stop.

A sander is not required to stop within 10s, and if you do this you may well detach the sanding disk from the machine, as you may do with the table saw blade if it is not desgined to allow for the sudden braking forces

Any machine utilising DC injection braking must not be connected via a central emergency switching system as described in BS 4163.

Staff areas in schools and colleges are exempt from the central emergency switching requirement in BS4163.