Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nic168  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2018 09:44:21(UTC)
nic168

I have inherited a project that was looking at the safety of workers who are dealing with benefits, housing etc. Often this invoves interviews with individuals who are not happy, sometimes it get quite nasty. The initail project identified a problem ( hurrah) but nothing much happened.

I am looking at the working practices and there is a panic alarm system in place for some areas of the offices but nothing much for visits to clients homes, most of these take place during the working day. What I am considering is some kind of alarm that can be transferred easily between users or treated as a pool device.

has anyone any advice or experience they can share?

Nic

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2018 10:38:50(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As has been said on this forum before; there are loads of devices on the market that can be used for this. They can be disguised as an ID card and incorporate a discrete silent alarm. Getting this bit of kit is the easy part; the tricky bit is deciding what to do when the alarm goes off.

• Who will be monitoring it-in house or an external provider
  • What hours will it be available- just office hours (9-5) or 24/7
  • What happens if you get the call-do you go straight to the police? You can do that but you need a protocol to establish that it is real incident and not a false alarm or a misunderstanding.
Doug32  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2018 10:41:24(UTC)
Doug32

Without aiming to insult your intelligence here have you considered the basic approach of giving each worker a personal attack alarm? You can buy them online for as little as a fiver, some can produce an ear piercing 90 to 130db, some flash as well and you pull the cord to activate. 

If you are looking at a more bespoke device that transmits a panic alarm location to a central office or another member of staff (or alerts the police etc) then you would need to search online for security companies that can provide that level of equipment. And the cost will of course go up exponentially.. 

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2018 11:23:37(UTC)
Hsquared14

I would start off with a Lone Worker policy that included a roster showing where people are going and when, you should include an estimate of how long the interview will take and the person should have a mobile phone with them that they can be called on if overdue.  Where you have this sort of issue it is usual to have a risk assessment specific to particular service users or clients, this could include reference to whether they have a dog, have there been issues with regard to aggressive or violent behaviour in the past?  For some people with a high risk rating I would prohibit interviews in their own home where your staff have relatively little control and insist they attend for interview at your premises.  I would look at simple solutions first such as "hot" keys on mobile phones to a monitored line before looking at the more complex and expensive solutions.

nic168  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2018 13:37:25(UTC)
nic168

thanks Hsquared, I have been passed a selection of RA of varying quality and content. Your response has convinced me that that rather than "reinvigorate the project " as my Boss has requested, It would be better to find a bin for this lot and start again. 

Thanks for your time people, I have now looked at several versions of the "Lone worker policy" and I think the whole subject needs a re-think at senior manager level  and is going to entail spending money, my popularity may plummet.

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2018 13:52:52(UTC)
Hsquared14

Sometimes starting again is the only viable option I'm afraid.  If you take a measured approach and look at it objectively I think you could improve things quite a lot without spending much money.   You will need to do some employee training and then maybe consider options for personal alarms, monitoring systems etc further down the line.  I would start with the simple stuff rather than jumping into a technological solution - after all we had perfectly good lone worker control before this technology became available.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
lorna on 23/05/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2018 16:04:22(UTC)
Kate

A successful approach I've seen to just this task is to (a) provide staff with personal safety training to give them the skills to calm a situation down and escape from it when needed and (b) where a client has been identified as high risk, visit their home only in pairs or refuse home visits.

I agree with comments above that technology on its own isn't the answer, and it need not even be part of the answer.

The Suzy Lamplugh Trust has some resources and provides training in personal safety: https://www.suzylamplugh.org/

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
nic168 on 25/05/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2018 08:36:30(UTC)
Mark-W

At the charity I work for, we have outreach workers, they never work alone but do go to some unsavoury places to meet homeless people, other members of staff do work alone. Each client is risk assesed at the first encounter and that is done either at our office or in a public place, cafe etc.

Lone working with a client after that is down to the RA produced. Each interaction with the client is documented. We also have Gaurdian24. A virtual diary. They send a text at the start of the appointment and indicate an expected completion time. If they don't report in via text to say they are safe we have protocols that are implemented. Not the cheapest solutuion but it works for us.

I have also purchased pers attack alarms. VERY loud but quite small and discreet.

DaveDowan  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2018 09:57:43(UTC)
DaveDowan

Hi If you PM me i can give some information as i have just completed the same process 

regards Dave 

hopeful  
#10 Posted : 23 May 2018 11:38:31(UTC)
hopeful

I have done a similar project twice and ended up with a personal alarm provided to workers at risk. These were provided by a third party who received the alarm and assessed if needed to escalated to the emergency services. In a confined space a personal attack alarm may exacerbate the situation so should be considered carefully. We also train staff, complete risk assessments and have a no lone wokring approach if required. Happy to have further discussions if you wish to pm me

andybz  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2018 12:48:08(UTC)
andybz

I have seen really good advice on how people can reduce their risks in potentially confrontational situations.  However, a quick Google shows most information out there is all about doing the risk assessment, and there does not seem to be much practical help.

The best I can find at the moment is Page 14 https://www.qegateshead....%20Policy%20v4.pdf 

Key messages I take from this:

* Be aware - know the risk signs

* Read and use body language

* Use calming approaches

* Always know where your exit is and keep it available

* Know when to get out and what to do once out

This is all good practical stuff that people can be trained in. 

Shame this practical stuff is not more readily available.  Also, it would benefit from guidance about when to use a personal alarm and when it can make things worse.

Mark-W  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2018 12:51:44(UTC)
Mark-W

Perhaps some conflict resolution training should be undertaken??

nic168  
#13 Posted : 25 May 2018 08:21:45(UTC)
nic168

Andy,Mark, I am advised that they all get some form of conflict resolution training along with recognising signs of aggression etc.

I am not convincied that this is the case for all staff or that it is always effective/appropriate ( lot of different tasks & roles) so will be looking in to that side of things seperately.

On the subject of Violence an dAgression in the workplace ,we had an excellent speaker on this at our last branch meeting- Bristol and West- they hope to have it online shortly- worth a viewing.