Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Monopoly  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2018 09:50:53(UTC)
Monopoly

An employee was working in the property of a member of the public. A small ladder he was using fell onto the home owners foot and injured his toe. He had to have the tip of his toe amputated (did not amputate through bone). Is this RIDDOR reportable?

Thanks

S Gibson  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2018 10:13:34(UTC)
S Gibson

as it was a MOP at thier home address i think not

O'Donnell54548  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2018 10:17:04(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Any work related accident in which a member of the public goes directly to hospital (by what ever means) is reportable under RIDDOR. The only exception to this is if the member of the public is advised to attend A&E only as a precaution by a medical professional.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2018 10:29:32(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Reportable because it was Member of the Public and was work related and they went directly to hospital for treatment (not just a check-up)

Monopoly  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2018 10:56:26(UTC)
Monopoly

Great thanks for the advice

I'm trying to find out if the IP went straight to hospital or went to his GP first:

1) if he went straight to hosiptal I will report as a RIDDOR

2)if he went to his GP first who then referred him to hospital straight away is this still a RIDDOR?

3) if he went to his GP and then went to the hospital the next day or a few days later is this a RIDDOR?

Ta

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2018 11:17:13(UTC)
Hsquared14

The key thing is the treatment aspect I think in this situation.  It doesn't matter if it was in their own home, it was the result of work being carried out in their home.  The HSE only talk about "hospital" in the regs but these days there are lots of places where treatment for that sort of injury can be carried out, walk in centres, GP surgeries, minor injuries units, none of these are called "hospitals" - in this respect the regs have not kept pace with changes in the NHS.  I would argue that treatment is the key no matter where it was carried out or who provided it and would report.

thanks 4 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 22/05/2018(UTC), lorna on 23/05/2018(UTC), Peterhigton on 23/05/2018(UTC), nic168 on 25/05/2018(UTC)
Monopoly  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2018 13:58:02(UTC)
Monopoly

Thanks that clears things up

Zyggy  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2018 17:14:17(UTC)
Zyggy

Re #6 I understand where you are coming from regarding the term " hospital" & the other places where treatment can take place, but as the term is enshrined in legislation, I for one will not be advising that such injuries are reported unless they are taken to a "hospital" otherwise where do you stop?

Edited by user 22 May 2018 17:33:46(UTC)  | Reason: Layout not how I wanted it!

Hsquared14  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2018 07:45:33(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Zyggy Go to Quoted Post
Re #6 I understand where you are coming from regarding the term " hospital" & the other places where treatment can take place, but as the term is enshrined in legislation, I for one will not be advising that such injuries are reported unless they are taken to a "hospital" otherwise where do you stop?

It will probably take a few test cases to bottom that one out but I would prefer not to be one of them so where treatment is required by a MOP I would report!!

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Zyggy on 23/05/2018(UTC)
wjp62  
#10 Posted : 23 May 2018 07:53:02(UTC)
wjp62

The HSE's 'example of reportable incidents' relating to 'people not at work' states:

"The injured person must be taken from where the accident happened, by whatever means, to a hospital for treatment. A GP practice or a drop-in clinic is not a hospital, so there is no duty to report".

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/examples-reportable-incidents.htm

thanks 5 users thanked wjp62 for this useful post.
Kate on 23/05/2018(UTC), lorna on 23/05/2018(UTC), Peterhigton on 23/05/2018(UTC), Zyggy on 23/05/2018(UTC), Hsquared14 on 24/05/2018(UTC)
Zyggy  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2018 15:21:10(UTC)
Zyggy

In my experience, individual prosecutions for not reporting under RIDDOR are not common, but are often added to other breaches of legislation & any resulting fines tend to be low.

What is interesting is the term "work related" which causes much debate, especially on this Forum!

As an example, a previous employer of mine was prosecuted under RIDDOR for not reporting a situation where a "service "user" under our direct care was given the wrong medication; was sent immediately to hospital & received treatment.

However, the person who did not receive the medication also fell ill, was taken to hospital & was treated, but after much deliberation from the HSE, this was not deemed to be reportable!

Don't you just "love" RIDDOR...!

Hsquared14  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:29:29(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: wjp62 Go to Quoted Post

The HSE's 'example of reportable incidents' relating to 'people not at work' states:

"The injured person must be taken from where the accident happened, by whatever means, to a hospital for treatment. A GP practice or a drop-in clinic is not a hospital, so there is no duty to report".

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/examples-reportable-incidents.htm

Didn't find that when I looked - thanks for digging it out.  It confirms though that HSE are way behind the game because these days the NHS is looking to keep minor injuries out of "hospital" for treatment.   This is setting employers up for a total minefield - typical scenario would be:  IP is taken to minor injuries unit not within a hospital so not reportable  but what if the minor injuries unit is within a hospital?  Then what if the minor injuries unit can't treat the injury so they refer the person to hospital?  They didn't go directly to hospital so its not reportable but if they had gone to A&E within a hospital it would be.  There are loads of different scenarios here where the decision to report or not report will depend solely on NHS services available in the part of the country where the injury occurred.  Two people with identical injuries could have identical treatment and one would be reportable and the other not.  This is crazy - I am coming to the conclusion that this new version of RIDDOR isn't fit for purpose either!

A Kurdziel  
#13 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:31:41(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The meaning of words in legislation is not always the same as in everyday use. For example the term “street” in law does not just include the roadway and the pavements on either side but can also be interpreted as meaning any area generally accessible to the public for example a garage forecourt or the approach to at railway station. This interpretation has developed over the past century or so and is generally accepted. The meaning of the word hospital is really for the courts to interpret but they would look at things like the guidance issued by the HSE. Unfortunately this issue is rarely debated by the courts (if ever) so there is no case law to develop this. Taking an interpretive approach I would conclude that a treatment unit is “a hospital” but the HSE say; no, it isn’t.

And so RIDDOR continues to confuse and bamboozle us.

Me I’d still report the incident and remember the HSE might get to hear of it anyway and they will probably come along and ask why it wasn’t reported!

Kate  
#14 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:44:45(UTC)
Kate

To which you would answer "Because your own guidance said it wasn't reportable" - I don't see how they could complain about that.

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 24 May 2018 09:23:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

The HSE never advise anything and have some outstanding disclaimers in their publications e.g from INDG453.

This guidance is issued by the Health and Safety Executive. Following the guidance is not compulsory, unless specifically stated, and you are free to take other action. But if you do follow the guidance you will normally be doing enough to comply with the law. Health and safety inspectors seek to secure compliance with the law and may refer to this guidance.

"normally" infers there could be occassions where following the guidance is in breach of duty

Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 24 May 2018 09:23:59(UTC)
Roundtuit

The HSE never advise anything and have some outstanding disclaimers in their publications e.g from INDG453.

This guidance is issued by the Health and Safety Executive. Following the guidance is not compulsory, unless specifically stated, and you are free to take other action. But if you do follow the guidance you will normally be doing enough to comply with the law. Health and safety inspectors seek to secure compliance with the law and may refer to this guidance.

"normally" infers there could be occassions where following the guidance is in breach of duty