Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin#1  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2018 14:10:12(UTC)
Martin#1

Looking to put together a Health & Safety Plan for our directors thats going to give an overview of the current HSEQ documentation we have in place thats going to be revised along with detailing new documentation thats going to be written and drafted to meet ISO standards, the long term aim is to get ISO accrediation but thats further down the line. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of any templates or examples of a Health & Safety plan as I'm starting from scratch here.

Thanks

Martin#1

Kate  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2018 14:23:27(UTC)
Kate

When I did this I just used the headings from the standard and wrote a description for each clause of what we already had together with what we needed to have, putting what we needed to have in red text.  I also used green text to show what was in common with ISO 9001.

I didn't expect the directors to read it, though!  It was more for the benefit of auditors.  What do your directors want from the document?

Martin#1  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:45:09(UTC)
Martin#1

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

When I did this I just used the headings from the standard and wrote a description for each clause of what we already had together with what we needed to have, putting what we needed to have in red text.  I also used green text to show what was in common with ISO 9001.

I didn't expect the directors to read it, though!  It was more for the benefit of auditors.  What do your directors want from the document?

I've got off to a similar start, I've got a spreadsheet and listed documentation and procedures that we have at the moment and detailed amendments that we need to make to them for improvement, I've got a spreadsheet listing what we require to have for ISO accreditation. I think the directors are looking to see a plan of what order we begin to create the document and how long it would take

Kate  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:50:44(UTC)
Kate

I'm a little concerned that this is being seen as all about documentation - it should be more about what you do, than what you write down.  You can have the most perfect documented system, but if it doesn't reflect what actually happens, it's useless.

Perhaps you would do better with a gap analysis against ISO 45001?  That would show what you need to do (which might include writing documents but could include many other things as well).

Martin#1  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2018 09:02:56(UTC)
Martin#1

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I'm a little concerned that this is being seen as all about documentation - it should be more about what you do, than what you write down.  You can have the most perfect documented system, but if it doesn't reflect what actually happens, it's useless.

Perhaps you would do better with a gap analysis against ISO 45001?  That would show what you need to do (which might include writing documents but could include many other things as well).

The focus by the directors will be on what documentation will be required and when it can be completed. I've detailed a process that will include relevant department managers reviewing draft documentation to ensure that it is workable within the business, a lot of our current documentation isnt bespoke to the business and is very generic and staff werent involved with its creation and my focus is to create workable procedures and documentation that is managable