Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jon.chesney  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2018 13:03:43(UTC)
jon.chesney

Afternoon all, can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm trying to find some case studies regarding employers and employees injured due to poor or no PPE on site. 

Any information regarding a an inssue that was investigated and what the outcome was (fines, prison etc). I have a small presentation to put together and I want some facts and figures to show an example(s) of what happens to breaches in law, outcomes etc.

TIA, Jon Chesney

zurek554  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2018 13:19:22(UTC)
zurek554

Hi Jon

Everything you looking for is there:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrhtm/rr419.htm 

You are welcome,

jon.chesney  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2018 13:20:31(UTC)
jon.chesney

Thank you very much.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2018 14:56:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Jon

By no means convinced that this Research Report will help you that much for various reasons including some of the get out clauses specifically raised by BOMEL, but also due to multiple variables including probably dubious quality of some of the input data (e.g. 17% of fatals PPE related - four times as many as major injuries) and key omissions.

In terms of omissions, for example HSE classification does not include any identification of any PPE that may meet all the necessary standards but be inherently not up to the job.

As example, a standard industrial helmet provides little or no protection against lateral impact yet research decades ago found that about 60% of head injuries in construction to parts of the head other than the crown. Relatively recently a new EN standard was published to look at lateral protection but to my knowledge there is still only one industrial helmet supplied in the UK that meets this standard - much more expensive than helmets you are likely to see on a day to day basis out on the street.

Similar issues might apply to safety gloves especially in any scenario where they need to protect against both physical (e.g. cuts) and chemical hazards e.g. where solvents penetrate ostensibly sound material.

Not sure want those asking for the presentation want - do they?