Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark.Poole  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2018 13:20:44(UTC)
Mark.Poole

I need help finding guidance about how close to a building we can site a 45000ltr Diesel Storage Tank.

I have looked a DSEAR Regs but cannot find anything definitive about Diesel other than it may be considered a low risk due to low flash point. I have looked at HSG176 which does give guidance on separation of "Tanks" from buildings but again does not give definitive details on Diesel.

Does anyone here have any suggestions please.

Thanks in Advance

Mark Poole

Edited by user 15 June 2018 13:22:43(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Waz  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2018 13:47:59(UTC)
Waz

Suggest looking at the crisis response pages: http://www.crisis-response.com/forum/index.php?topic=6679.0;wap2 

Its a quite useful area with some in-depth references to HSE and other related materials.

thanks 1 user thanked Waz for this useful post.
Mark.Poole on 15/06/2018(UTC)
ryangavin777  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2018 13:50:31(UTC)
ryangavin777

Hi Mark,

I'm not an expect in this field but we had diesel tanks of a similar size in my old workplace. These were located internally (transport garage) due to the flash point is quite high. We had double skinned tanks (alarmed) and concrete bunding around the tanks.

Again, I'm not 100% confident but might be worth checking COMAH regs as you have 2% and aggrigation rules etc. I'm not sure what other products you may or may not be storing? I guess the key would be risk assessment, emergency procedures etc etc.

Hope it helps!

Edited by user 15 June 2018 13:51:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ryangavin777 for this useful post.
Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2018 14:18:38(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Diesel is now classed as a dangerous substances as detailed in DSEAR as you have identified. As well as identifying the required separation distance from a building you will have to complete a hazardous area assessment (DSEAR Reg 7). You will also need to identify all potential sources of ignition for your hazardous area assessment and any potential grades of release on which to base you conclusions.

Diesel never used to be considered a DSEAR issue, but the classification was changed about 2yrs ago under the CLP regs/guidance.

As a technical note - diesel is not too dangerous because it has a HIGH flash point NOT a LOW flashpoint - see original comment by poster!!

I work in oil/gas/petrochem so DSEAR is a regular topic.

COMAH Tier 1 requires 200 tonnes on site. COMAH Tier 250 tonnes.

Diesel is a Cat 3 flammable liquid 

Happy to help, if required

thanks 2 users thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Mark.Poole on 15/06/2018(UTC), Swygart25604 on 17/06/2018(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2018 14:22:32(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Space missing... COMAH Tier 250 tonnes... Tier 2  50 tonnes

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
chris42  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2018 14:54:26(UTC)
chris42

Just to confirm 45,000 L not 4,500 L ?

But assuming it is 45,000 would the suppliers be of assistance in locating appropriate documents regarding installation.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Mark.Poole  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2018 16:04:11(UTC)
Mark.Poole

Originally Posted by: Ian Bell2 Go to Quoted Post

Diesel is now classed as a dangerous substances as detailed in DSEAR as you have identified. As well as identifying the required separation distance from a building you will have to complete a hazardous area assessment (DSEAR Reg 7). You will also need to identify all potential sources of ignition for your hazardous area assessment and any potential grades of release on which to base you conclusions.

Diesel never used to be considered a DSEAR issue, but the classification was changed about 2yrs ago under the CLP regs/guidance.

As a technical note - diesel is not too dangerous because it has a HIGH flash point NOT a LOW flashpoint - see original comment by poster!!

I work in oil/gas/petrochem so DSEAR is a regular topic.

COMAH Tier 1 requires 200 tonnes on site. COMAH Tier 250 tonnes.

Diesel is a Cat 3 flammable liquid 

Happy to help, if required

Thanks Ian Bell2,

Your quite right high flashpoint of +60c or thereabouts. Thank you for your input, one of the sites I cover is Lower Tier COMAH, we store Flammable Aerosols on pallets in a warehouse, I am familiar with those regs and aggragation rules, thankfully this tank will be sited at our other depot where this is not a factor.

As somone else pointed out 45,000 ltrs or 45 - 50 tons of diesel will not be a COMAH issue.

I think I will defer to the guidance in HSG176 and go for at least 8m from a building after taking in all the other considerations such as environmental impact.

Regards

Mark 

chris42  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2018 16:19:41(UTC)
chris42

http://www.netregs.org.uk/media/1299/gpp-2-pdf.pdf

Possibly talking of smaller tanks but may be of interest 

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Hsquared14  
#9 Posted : 18 June 2018 12:00:06(UTC)
Hsquared14

You need to look at the Oil Storage (England) Regulations as diesel falls under the definition of oils in these regs.  There is a govt website that gives a summary of all the relevant things you need to know.  I would post the link here but my pc has decided to wipe all my bookmarks today so I am struggling with the internet a bit at the moment.  DSEAR guidance isn't very helpful where diesel installations are concerned.

We have just had a new self bunded integrated 50,000L tank installed - we were advised 10m from the nearest building just in case it helps total cost of installation was around £50,000 inc VAT and removal of the old tanks.

Mid Life  
#10 Posted : 22 June 2018 08:11:10(UTC)
Mid Life

Further to the earlier comments and observations the Oil Storage (England) Regulations is a good sourse document. I appreciate you may be using a double skinned tank but also consider drains under ground voids (cable runs) etc and other water courses when siting the tank. You will also need to consider drip trays for nozzles etc, a maintenance and inspection regime, spillage equipment and suitable training.

Regards

hilary  
#11 Posted : 22 June 2018 08:51:40(UTC)
hilary

I believe I used document PPG2 when I did mine many moons ago.

Hope this helps.