Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DAG2  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2018 10:11:37(UTC)
DAG2

Recently, a truck that is regularly used for moving skips around our yard had a fire develop from the main cab's console, the fire being traced, it was thought, to the main fuse box. The fire destroyed much in the area of the truck in question. However, on reflection, the truck was used to move a skip type that regularly had ground-rock type dust eminating from it. Has anyone heard or had any experience with electrical fires in vehicle electrics, with any possible connection to the accumulation of dust around fuse boxes/wiring etc? HSG103 is not particularly concerned about this type of scenario, quote - "Where dust layers are often present, explosible dust clouds can be formed by any sudden movement of air, [ ] Experience shows however, that while fires may easily start in dust layers on hot surfaces, very few explosions are caused by hot surfaces outside the dust containment system".

DAG2  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2018 12:01:30(UTC)
DAG2

I'll take that as a 'no' then!

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2018 13:04:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The person to ask is the manufacturer.

chris42  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2018 13:53:42(UTC)
chris42

I fail to see if you have a skip truck mostly going forwards, so the wind would tend to blow dust backwards (onto drivers behind truck) how it would get into fuse box area (normally inside the cab / engine compartment). Dust may short out electronics, but I doubt a fuse which the electrical connections push into a holder which holds it tightly so it can make a connection. If a fuse was arcing I guess you may get enough heat, but nothing to do with dust as it would push the dust off as it is put in. Seems very unlikely to me dust would have had a lot to do with it. Why would you want to pin it on dust ? more likely dubious electrical connections or a wire sleeve worn through and arcing on bodywork.

Edited by user 27 July 2018 13:54:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Charlie Brown  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2018 18:04:30(UTC)
Charlie Brown

No, dust will not be the cause of the fire, in fact, if you think about a vehicle air cleaner, they can get very dusty and they have a lot of air moving through them. I have worked in and around plant all my life and seen fuses caked with heavy layers of dust. The most likely cause of the fire would be a wire or wires being trapped or chafed and earthing out or, possibly a fuse kept blowing so some smart person substituted the fuse for a nail or something, don't laugh, it happens a lot.

Edited by user 27 July 2018 18:07:42(UTC)  | Reason: added comment