Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2018 07:20:50(UTC)
JL

My company has conducted about 300 asbestos samples of ceilings (textured coatings) in the last three months. Of these 300 samples 62% have come back NADIS (no asbestos detected in sample)

All the samples were taken from homes pre- 2000, my initial thoughts where bad sampling techniques/more training Etc. but I have started to wonder if there is a general trend within the asbestos industry and my data is probably correct.

Has anyone any data or theories on what the percentage of positive results are within the testing industry specifically with regard to artex ceilings. (it seems a high failure rate, although I expect the artex has to run out in the UK at some point)

chas  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2018 08:08:21(UTC)
chas

It is worth bearing in mind that not all 'artex' type coverings have asbestos in them and I believe asbestos was only really found in the older (pre-1980) 'artex' type coverings. Also the amount of asbestos found in 'artex' type products is usually relatively small (often trace amounts) and it is possible to sample a ceiling and come up with differing results depending on how well the asbestoss was dstributed within the 'artex' type material when it was originally applied. I am not surprised that a significant amount of your samples are NADIS.