Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ShaneMcD  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2018 10:44:42(UTC)
ShaneMcD

Good morning all,

I have worked in H+S after moving from scientific background and I am applying for a job that requires me to give a presentation (this is 2nd stage interview).  The topic I have been given is lithium ion batteries - 1) Discuss how they work in laymans terms 2) what are the safety controls (risk assessment) required for a research lab working with lithium-ion cells/batteries.

My confusion comes from the second part.  I have no prior knowledge to their specific processes or at what stage of testing these batteries find themselves in (confidential information).  

Since these batteries have several different chemical make ups and assembly procedures do I just pick the most common type and discuss the potential risks at all stages of development? (small cells to large batteries)

It is my first time giving an interview presentation and the vagueness of it all makes me uneasy :D

Thanks for any help and all the best

trapale  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2018 10:50:29(UTC)
trapale

If it were me the MSDS and then the COSHH assessment should point you in the right direction.
ShaneMcD  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2018 10:52:28(UTC)
ShaneMcD

But that is almost the exact problem.  Without knowing specific processes or chemical make ups how can one perform a CoSHH assessment and/or process risk assessment.

Hence me asking if it would be in my interest to pick a popular lithium battery and assume they make that just to demonstrate my ability.

ShaneMcD  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2018 11:05:11(UTC)
ShaneMcD

Didn't mean last post to be dismissive (which it seems when i re-read).

Not knowing at what stage of the research process the batteries are along (small table top or large car sized) makes it hard for me to know what to talk about.  Are they wanting me to give them a risk assessment for an area I haven't seen?

Kate  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2018 11:06:48(UTC)
Kate

Do you know that they are actually making the batteries?  Have you done enough research on the organisation to find out what they do?  Is there a contact who without directly helping you with the presentation might tell you what their processes are?

ShaneMcD  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2018 11:08:55(UTC)
ShaneMcD

Yes, if I said the company name it would become apparent.  Yes I have researched the company as I am on second stage interview and No.  

ShaneMcD  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2018 11:13:30(UTC)
ShaneMcD

I feel the point is being missed.   I'll try and break it down.  

Someone asks for a presentation on the risks of developing a box with an animal inside.  How can you give a risk assessment without knowing how they made the box, what the box is made of, or what animal is inside?  As all of this information is classified.

pseudonym  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2018 11:34:35(UTC)
pseudonym

Well, what I think I'd do is either or both of the following:

Contact the company and explain that without further details you cannot provide a worthwhile presentation, and explain why, OR

Go with your analagy and provide them with a simple and hopelessly generic presentation backed up with the animal in a box story - either way you would be showing them that you know something about your stuff H&S wise and something about their product too! It may be that by asking for more information and discussing why that they will see the merit in your argument - it could count in your favour!

dwf76  
#9 Posted : 26 June 2018 14:58:15(UTC)
dwf76

Originally Posted by: ShaneMcD Go to Quoted Post

I feel the point is being missed.   I'll try and break it down.  

Someone asks for a presentation on the risks of developing a box with an animal inside.  How can you give a risk assessment without knowing how they made the box, what the box is made of, or what animal is inside?  As all of this information is classified.

Having recently gone through something similar sounding, it may be that the Company in question actually isn't that concerned.

Experience has shown me they are more likely to be looking at the method behind your findings, and how you present them.

I could be way off the mark, but i'd pick the worst case scenario and work to that.

Either way, good luck with the interview.

thanks 1 user thanked dwf76 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/06/2018(UTC)
pete48  
#10 Posted : 26 June 2018 15:18:51(UTC)
pete48

Originally Posted by: ShaneMcD Go to Quoted Post
these batteries have several different chemical make ups and assembly procedures

Perhaps take a step back and look from a wider perspective to match your comment about variability. Linked to the 'test' nature of a research environment might give you the sort of concise, well researched overview/summary that they are lmaybe expecting to hear.

Sometimes if we are technically minded we can get too bogged in the specifics a bit too early. You can't possibly know the detail of their operation but you should be able to present what you might expect to find once you have determined the specifics of their operation.   

hth and good luck

fairlieg  
#11 Posted : 27 June 2018 11:51:24(UTC)
fairlieg

This might not help but.....

We use Li batteries, 100's of Kg of them, mainly primary cells but we are moving to secondary too in labs and in "field".  if it were me asking the question what I would like to know is how would you manage storeage, handling, charging, disposal, testing and emergency proceedures if they go on fire and how to clean up the mess.  These things produce nasty gases when on fire, you cant stop the fire either, primarys are more volitle that secondarys, sometimes they vent with no sign of damage.

I understand they have different chemistry and energy density etc, you have to be careful about over charging and discharging.....etc so who would you assess and manage the risks is that not what they are asking?  they are asking for laymans terms for "how they work" so I am not sure they are looking for war and peace on all the different cell types and chemistry I would be wanting to know you understand how to do a risk assessment and present sensible control measures.

thanks 1 user thanked fairlieg for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/06/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 27 June 2018 12:59:35(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Hi I know nothing about lithium-ion cells/batteries (microbiologist by trade) but they won’t expect you to know everything about them (unless they are mad-I have had interviews where the interviewers are certifiable!).  Find out all you can about lithium ion batteries including how they might be manufactured.

Think about the hazards that this might create including:

• Exposure to chemicals  hazardous to health
  • Risk of fire and explosion
  • The risk posed by the equipment that they might be using, mechanical, electrical etc
  • Noise, radiation and anything else

For the chemical issue which I would guess is the main issue listing the controls to be used according to the hierarchy of controls as described in COSHH.

For fire and explosion look at DSEAR – is it likely that the process liberates hydrogen gas. Can they create sparks etc.

I don’t think that they expect you to be exactly right on the nail. A Good H&S person has enough general knowledge to make hunches as to possible issues and then they can investigate more deeply to decide where they are real and significant risks or something that can be safely discounted.  You wil be very lucky if you find yourself in a situation where everything is laid out like and it is just a case of applying one piece of legislation or an ACoP.  Most of the time you have to do some digging to decide what applies in those circumstances.

Roundtuit  
#13 Posted : 27 June 2018 19:50:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Also consider the tranportation and disposal issues - these are classified as Dangerous Goods for shipment, banned from most air freight and even UK post has restrictions.

Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 27 June 2018 19:50:44(UTC)
Roundtuit

Also consider the tranportation and disposal issues - these are classified as Dangerous Goods for shipment, banned from most air freight and even UK post has restrictions.