Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meady  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2018 09:58:43(UTC)
meady

Hi everyone,

I am looking to introduce a new on-tool extraction system to replace our current vac extractors.

The issues we have with vacuum extractors is that the cutting/sawing etc is done over a span of upto 60ft so the hoses are not long enough (and would leave a significant trip hazard on the floor) and the reduction in airflow would render the extraction inadequate. We do not have any 240v power in the Factory either so vacs with power take-off are not viable, resulting in numerous trailing leads etc.

I have looked at the possibility of installing a new overhead system that we can connect to at points where extraction is required, much the same as how an airline system works.

I just cannot find any examples of this online!

So my question really is, has anyone used this type of extraction system before, is it actually possible and if so can you point me in the right direction please?

Appreciate any help that you can offer

Thanks

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2018 12:42:07(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Hi

This sounds quite novel and so might be of interest to John Saunders at the HSE lab, Buxton. He is the man on extraction systems so perhaps you should drop him a line.

Edited by user 03 July 2018 12:42:48(UTC)  | Reason: spellings

paul.skyrme  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2018 22:16:54(UTC)
paul.skyrme

One of the issues you have with what you are thinking about is that power tools have small diameter take offs, they are deigned for Low Volume High Pressure extraction (LVHP), e.g. vacuum cleaner types.

Oh, you should be able to get 110V CTE types of vacuum extractor with power through.

"Normal" large size fixed LEV for larger for example woodworking machines such as spindle moulders, band resaws etc. is the High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) type. This kind of system relies upon the volume of air to carry the contaminant away, a bit like a surfer on a wave.

LVHP systems in that kind of size would need to be completely air tight, and would need to pull several inches of mercury at the pump to do anything at the distances you are thinking about.  Also, immediately you opened a port nearer the pump than the one in use the vacuum would be destroyed at the furthest point.

The pumping system would need to be something like a Rootes blower, (think car supercharger), or a vane vacuum pump, they need extremely high levels of cleanliness.

You could not do as is done with normal wood chip extractors and use the fan as a mascerator for any large wood debris dragged into the system so that it does not damage or block the filters, bags etc.

meady  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2018 06:31:42(UTC)
meady

Morning,

Thanks for those replies i'll contact John Saunders, thanks.

I did manage to find some retractable hose reels which could possibly work. Maybe too if we add automatic gates into the system we could get around the loss of vacuum issue when 'hooking on'.

I'll contact a few companies to see what they can suggest too.

Thanks again for getting back to me, i appreciate the advice