Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill6152  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2018 15:17:38(UTC)
Bill6152

What a bargain 

Two-day conference ticketEarly bird (book by midnight GMT on 21 July 2018)£500 (save £150)One-day conference ticketEarly bird (book by midnight GMT on 21 July 2018)£300 (save £75)
lorna  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2018 08:35:24(UTC)
lorna

I always wonder who this event is for - as I don't know of any members who can afford to go! 

Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2018 08:47:53(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Isn't free entry now a perk of our increased membership fees ?  Oh, I'm mistaken, it isn't....  :-(

(Should this be classed as sarcasm or cynicism ?)

thanks 2 users thanked Elfin Davy 09 for this useful post.
Yossarian on 05/07/2018(UTC), lorna on 06/07/2018(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2018 09:24:49(UTC)
Ian Bell2

IOSH are deluded if they think the average safety bod can justify spending this sort of money to attend.

The big corporate concultancies can or those who supply safety equipment/systems etc

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Yossarian on 05/07/2018(UTC)
HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2018 09:25:12(UTC)
HSSnail

plus 1 overnight stay, plus travel, plus 2 days lost earnings as my employer wont pay - where do I sign! Its sad because i did manage to attend the free talks a few years ago when the event was in Harrogate (emplyer still would not pay for the confrance part) and Im sure its a great event.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
nic168 on 05/07/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2018 09:28:38(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I have never been: is the grub any good? Do they lay on booze or should I just save my money and go to Wimbledon as usual? 

Andrew the Posh and Overpaid Safety Professional (NOT!)

Elfin Davy 09  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2018 10:05:12(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Ian Bell2

Judging by recent events, you could have stopped after the first three words of your post at #4 above !  :-)

nic168  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2018 11:29:57(UTC)
nic168

I rarely go to the IOSH conference as I find there is insufficent events of interest /relevance to convince my employers to pay. However this year I see that Katherine Mettars is giving a talk on MSD, she is very thought provoking and interesting speaker so I may see what else is on offer before I rule it out entirely.

Nic

UncleFester  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2018 06:36:03(UTC)
UncleFester

Better value can be had by attending any of the events laid on by local branches - most of which appear to be free to attend. There are speakers, presentations and the chance to network - much like at 'conference'.

thanks 1 user thanked UncleFester for this useful post.
lorna on 06/07/2018(UTC)
ExDeeps  
#10 Posted : 06 July 2018 07:23:53(UTC)
ExDeeps

Hi,

My boss isn't a fan and thinks some other conferences are better as they are more focused on industry specifics. I have been a couple of times and I thought it was rather good, in a high level strategic way. And judging by the numbers attending each year it must be popular with quite a few others ;-)

jim