Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parvezsafety  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2018 03:41:18(UTC)
parvezsafety

Getting confuse about task and hazards

1. Work at height.

2.working in process facility.

3. working in hydrocarbon area..

like above I found some where its mention as a task and some where as hazard.

please advise me in which category I should place these either Hazard or in task 

ExDeeps  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2018 07:20:07(UTC)
ExDeeps

Hi,

To my mind, using the WaH example. Working at height is a task. Falling from wherever the work is taking place, and or dropping tools / kit etc is the hazard. If you apply that to the others I think you'll have your answer

jim

andybz  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2018 07:46:40(UTC)
andybz

Simple answer is they are neither.  I would say they are "work."  There is a clue in the titles!

You need to identify the task and then the associated hazard.  Your descriptions do neither. 

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2018 07:51:40(UTC)
Hsquared14

Try looking at a technique called Job Safety Analysis - I think that will help you to make that differentiation.

chris.packham  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2018 10:17:19(UTC)
chris.packham

In my field (COSHH and the skin) you start with the task, i.e. what you are doing, including what chemicals you are using and how they are being used. You then use this information to establish the hazard, i.e. what happens to the chemicals when they are used and what is the resulting hazard (rarely what is on the safety data sheet), you then establish what exposure is, or could, occur and the consequences (the risk assessment).

Chris

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2018 13:25:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

In think you need to get your terminology sorted out. The things you have mentioned are not really tasks. Work at Height is primarily a set of regulations and it is also an AREA of work but the task is what you actually do eg getting access to a valve 20 m up with no permanent work platform. The hazard are   a) fall down from that workplace and b) dropping something onto someone below.

You are likely to be working in process area so that is neither a hazard nor a task but of course (based on your risk assessment) you will identify a whole list of hazards associated with that and similarly for the next heading “ working in hydrocarbon area”. Are you working your way through some sort of preformed off the shelf so called Health and Safety management system? If so good look.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
parvezsafety on 07/07/2018(UTC)
boblewis  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2018 13:32:41(UTC)
boblewis

Look at it this way;  The task is an operation which I have to do, eg install pipework at high level,.  The task will contain a number of hazards such as say work at height, welding, etc etc.  On this basis none of your examples are tasks.

Edited by user 06 July 2018 13:33:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Waz  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2018 14:33:55(UTC)
Waz

These are hazardous activities.

Height is the hazard;

Hydrocarbon is the hazard;

Process Facility is a hazardous environment.

You are clearly working in the oil and gas sector, and you need to break-down the task/activity to undertake a risk assessment.

thanks 1 user thanked Waz for this useful post.
parvezsafety on 07/07/2018(UTC)
parvezsafety  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2018 05:35:21(UTC)
parvezsafety

Many Mnay thanks to all for your valuabale advise

boblewis  
#10 Posted : 07 July 2018 08:56:42(UTC)
boblewis

I prefer to say that you identify the hazards involved in the task and the applicable controls in order to achieve the task risk assessment