Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pseudonym  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2018 07:30:46(UTC)
pseudonym

Must be getting a bit old and confused ..

Can someone help  me out a little: in reviewing an LEV inspection report what sections / heading are absolutely essential, which are 'best practice' and which are 'desirable'?

Many thanks

P.

Elfin Davy 09  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2018 08:01:34(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

This is a slightly difficult one to answer, because I think it will depend upon who does your testing and how they present their report. 

Our current testers use a simple priority system whereby Priority 1 requires immediate intervention (so is absolutely essential), Priority 2 is routine (so best practice) and Priority 3 is advisable (so "desirable").

However, other companies we've used in the past have had their own (very different) systems...  

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2018 08:26:22(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When you first commissioned your LEV you should have established what it can do and what you need it to do to protect the operator. Those values are what you should be looking at. Companies that test LEV follow the standard but this only tells them how to measure things not whether it is good enough for what you need. Look at chapter 5 and 8 of HSG258.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
pseudonym on 06/07/2018(UTC), JohnW on 06/07/2018(UTC)
chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2018 10:12:38(UTC)
chris.packham

Ensure you differeniate between performance and effectiveness. I have experienced situations where the LEV has been tested for performance (i.e. moving the designed amount of air) and the employer has assumed that this is sufficient. A simple smoke tube test demonstrated that for many of their LEV systems these were not removing the contaminant due to the design of the capture system (i.e. were not effective).

The key to effective LEV is usually not how much air you move but how well the capture system is designed.

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
pseudonym on 06/07/2018(UTC), JohnW on 06/07/2018(UTC)