Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frankhone  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2018 07:51:12(UTC)
frankhone

Gas bottles attached to an ammonia cracker used to convert gas to run a solar furnace annealing and soldering furnace for jewellery, I have not seen this or seen operating just looking for some advice on risk assessment and operator safety. Thanks in anticipation 

imwaldra  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2018 08:24:25(UTC)
imwaldra

Sounds very odd. The ammonia cracker is presumably a small process unit that runs at high temperature and some pressure, producing hydrogen that is then bured to heat the furnace? Normally you wouldn't connect a glass container to anything pressurised. If you do, you need to have a suitable pressure reducer and relief/vent system as well as a pressure test and inspection regime for the container.

I'd expect evidence the whole system has been design to a recognised engineering standard, that instruments and controls have the right testing regime, etc. It's presumably pretty small, for jewlelry, but I know of a couple of serious accidents when smallish glass items were overpressured when connected to inmperfectly designed pressure systems.

I suggest you get the system design checked by a competent mechanical or process engineer, who then also ensures that suitable maintenance and operations docuemtns are available and used by peope who understand what could go wrong if they are not fully implemented.

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2018 08:33:28(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Looking at this I think we need more information. I believe that the “bottles” you are freeing to, are gas cylinders containing ammonia. That’s a set of hazards there: pressurised cylinders and a toxic gas (look at the SDS for that mix of ammonia). This is then heated to crack, it to create hydrogen and nitrogen that is feed into your furnace creating a non-oxidising atmosphere for your jewellery maker.  More hazards there: heat and hydrogen (bit flammable).  Of course this is just speculation on my part and it could be something completely different.

Is the equipment American by any chance?