Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SW  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2018 08:55:16(UTC)
SW

Hi

Please could someone answer my curiosity regarding excavators working next to motorways?

I was driving along the M1 yesterday and an excavator was working parallel to the motorway in the adjacent lane. It then swung around 180 degrees anti-clockways and stopped to dig something and my question is; what is stopping the excavator from moving past 180 degrees because if he had and swung around more than the 180, I would have driven into the bucket as it would have encroached into the live carriageway.

Is there a rotation limit you can set in the cab or is it down to the skill and competence of the operator to position the bucket and not to over rotate?

Thanks

SW

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2018 11:04:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

Sorry I can't look it up - internat access is restricted today, but I remember a prosecution due to a fatality caused by exactly the situation you describe and from memory I think there should be restrictions and rules for freeboard around the machines.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
SW on 11/07/2018(UTC)
SW  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2018 11:06:19(UTC)
SW

Thank you Hsquared14 - middle lane home tonight then!

Woolf13  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2018 11:59:18(UTC)
Woolf13

At sites where space is limited, e.g. the loading/slewing near a public highway, sufficient room and appropriate traffic management systems should be provided to allow excavators to operate safely. Exclusions zones/barriers and assistance from a marshaller should be employed in these areas. The working area that covers the working range of the boom and dipper should be cordoned off and places of safety clear of the working range of the machine should be facilitated to prevent collision/contact. Excavators should also be equipped with adequate visibility aids to ensure drivers can see areas where people may be at risk from the operation of the machine.

SW  
#5 Posted : 11 July 2018 12:03:54(UTC)
SW

Thank you for your reply Woolf13 - very helpful.

Regards

SW

scoen  
#6 Posted : 11 July 2018 12:17:29(UTC)
scoen

These Excavators are fitted with Slew Restictors that are set to overide the manual controls to restrict movement on a set degree and distance on a machine, including width and height.

SW  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2018 12:22:24(UTC)
SW

Thank you scoen - I was hoping there were more controls other than the skill of the Operator who could be distracted / fall ill.

MikeKelly  
#8 Posted : 11 July 2018 13:14:47(UTC)
MikeKelly

The case referred to above by Hsquared occurred in Derby in 1990 

A young woman was killed while travelling on the top deck of a bus when she was hit by an excavator bucket as the bus was passing road works.

Derby Council and City plant hire were fined £15000-the main contractor less at £5000. What would that be now??  Significantly higher no doubt-maybe Corporate Manslaughter even.

The council were found to be responsible because their inspectors had visited the site and  not spotted/mentioned/addressed the issue.

Regards

Mike

PS It was discussed in 2004 on these forums

thanks 1 user thanked MikeKelly for this useful post.
SW on 11/07/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#9 Posted : 11 July 2018 14:54:56(UTC)
Hsquared14

Yes Mike - that is the one I'm thinking of because it happened just round the corner from where I was living at the time.  Things stick in your mind when they are close to home don't they.  I hope to be able to get onto the internet tomorrow as it has stopped me working today - Recaptcha isn't responding so I can't connect unless it is a bookmarked site.

SW  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2018 16:55:25(UTC)
SW

Thanks for the information Both - Coincidentally I was heading to Derby.

Regards

SW