Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EmmaBruce  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2018 12:48:58(UTC)
EmmaBruce

Hi everyone, been a while since I last posted! 

I have a general enquiry re a contractors use of a digger. We have contracted out some work involving digging a trench and I was just wondering what licence requirements there are for operating a digger? When I obtain copies of the contractors insurance are there any particular licence or other requirements I should be checking? 

For info, this is a not a building site.

Thanks Emma

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2018 14:37:22(UTC)
HSSnail

Emma –

Providing you are not talking about driving on the public highway diggers are covered by the same sections of PUWER as fork lift trucks – as such there is no licence – but the operator should have received appropriate training and be competent. There are lots of training schemes out there – I know you say it’s not a building site but I have looked for CPSC  card for the appropriate piece of equipment when looking to show appropriate training in the past.