Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
danielrsp  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2018 20:19:25(UTC)
danielrsp

Hello, 

Can someone kindly offer guidance, preferrably with evidence/sources, as to what measures ought to be in place to ensure safe working in a typical attic/loft of a residential/domestic premises?

Specifically, potential lone-working.

Many thanks

Dan

Kate  
#2 Posted : 14 July 2018 08:42:07(UTC)
Kate

I've risk assessed this in the past.

The typical issues are lighting, ladder access (especially when carrying things and needing to maintain three points of contact), poor flooring, and obstructions.

In terms of lone working I would expect someone to know they were there and be able to raise the alarm in an emergency or if they didn't return - this could simply be the householder if the house is occupied.  Likewise the person working in the attic ought to have a method of contacting someone.

By the way, it's best to avoid referring to it as a confined space as this may suggest it falls within the confined space regulations (which it doesn't due to the legal definition of a confined space involving a 'specified hazard' and not just the space being enclosed).

RayRapp  
#3 Posted : 14 July 2018 11:07:17(UTC)
RayRapp

Further to Kate's post, there are many potential hazards in a loft/attic. Some of these can be reasonably anitcipated whilst others are the exception. For example, working in a loft/attic one could anticipate in summer it being hot, possibly a restricted source of air flow, dust, contamination from animal/bird droppings, sharps, disposed asbestos...the list is endless.

I agree with Kate that a loft/attic is not a confined space per se, unpleasent though they are - it really depends on the inherent hazards which may be unknown until visited. In which case, training operatives to be aware of the risks is essential and far better than giving the task a generic label in my opinion.  

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.
Kate on 14/07/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#4 Posted : 14 July 2018 13:05:51(UTC)
Kate

Yes, I agree with all Ray says there.

Steve e ashton  
#5 Posted : 14 July 2018 19:17:07(UTC)
Steve e ashton

From memory... One of the specified hazards in the confined spaces regs is overheating.... With the climate recently, if I had people going into roof spaces, possibly wearing heavy ppe as protection against glass insulation matting, or even asbestos.... I might be very worried indeed about overheating, and potential dehydration. I think it might pay to apply confined space precautions even if, most of the time, a roof space isn't within the regs scope.... An outdoor temp of 30 deg, with direct sun on tiled roof, could easily equate to roof space temp of 50deg plus....
Martin Gray  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2018 20:53:59(UTC)
Martin Gray

Ensure you also carryout an external survey of the building to ensure that the flue of any gas boiler has been correctly installed and is not venting fumes into the roof space.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2018 14:49:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

and from my weekend wasp (or hornet) nests - noticed as activity near the eaves

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2018 14:49:16(UTC)
Roundtuit

and from my weekend wasp (or hornet) nests - noticed as activity near the eaves

Elfin Davy 09  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2018 14:59:26(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

A hard hat is essential in mine - I somehow manage to hit my head on the roof timbers every time I go into my loft space, no matter how hard I try not to ! 

Has anyone noticed how it's always a source of great amusement when a health and safety professional has any form of mishap ?