Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PIKEMAN  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2018 08:18:03(UTC)
PIKEMAN

Hi I am intending to go self employed soon as a consultant. I know that I need insurance however are these "consultant directories" such as IOSH provides any use? Do you get work out of them,  which are best? TIA.

Mark-W  
#2 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:11:32(UTC)
Mark-W

When I set up I hawked myself around my intended clients first before setting up. No point in setting up as a consultant if you have no clients.

Most of my new clients now are word of mouth. I don't advertise anywhere and not on any register. But it may be different for you depending which industry you want to be part of and where in the country you are. Here in the SW it's all very laid back.

JohnW  
#3 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:37:56(UTC)
JohnW

Following redundancy 10 years ago I set up (without clients) and uploaded a proper website. I had 2 clients within a month. Over the years I got steady work through the website, regularly working 3 days a week. This has dropped off significantly over the last two years, some weeks I have no work! Also recently most new clients have come through word of mouth, all precision engineering companies who know each other, useful but now just half a day a month each, using plans for reviewing risk assessments that were done last year. I’m not on any registers. I’m semi-retired so I can survive with little work, but the lack of work would have been worrying a few years ago.

Edited by user 09 August 2018 09:39:09(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 09 August 2018 10:43:17(UTC)
Ian Bell2

The hardest part for any independent solo consultant/consultancy is getting clients and a steady supply of potential client contacts etc. The lead time for work I.e. cash flow can be a major problem for quite a while after setting up solo. Think carefully about what you are doing.
Mark-W  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2018 14:12:33(UTC)
Mark-W

Agree with Ian, cash flow can be an issue. Some companys operate on a 90 day payment flow. If you can afford to go 3 months without getting paid then all well and good.

With all my clients I bill on the last working day of the month and payment is within 30 days of invoice date. Most pay well within that timescale.

Zyggy  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2018 15:59:31(UTC)
Zyggy

I went "solo" just over 6 years ago & was lucky to get a number of clients very quickly as I was able to plan ahead prior to leaving my employer. The work came from existing contacts & future clients by word of mouth. I did consider joining the HSE' s Consultants Register as I ticked all the boxes, but frankly decided that I didn't need to! As already stated, cash flow can be a problem & in the early days some of the bigger organisations were the worst payers! However, one client offered to pay me 3 months in advance & I soon found that new clients were not put off if I asked for similar terms. My client list has settled down now & all now pay up front with 2 year contracts which gives me a lot of stability. It was the best decision that I have ever made & wish that I had done it sooner!