Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikecarr  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2018 13:47:17(UTC)
mikecarr

Hi team

I'm sure i know the answer to this one. We are the majority tennant/managing agent  for a mulit occupant building. We have a tenant that keeps calling us for first aid and now wants to know if we have a defib in the building

As far as I was aware it is each emplyers responsiblity to have their own first aiders?

Is this correct?

cheers!

chris42  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2018 13:53:17(UTC)
chris42

Its each employer’s responsibility to ensure there is first aid provision (that does not mean their own employee necessarily). In such a set-up I would think it is best for there to be an agreement between all parties. Even if it is that they agree to do their own thing. Has someone put something in the lease agreement?

Chris

Kate  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2018 20:53:09(UTC)
Kate

I agree with Chris

Mr Insurance  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2018 07:25:41(UTC)
Mr Insurance

I think Chris may have actually gone a bit far with his suggestion that they have some agreement. Each employer is responsible for its own first aid, and it is not the responsibiltiy of anybody else, just because they happen to be tenants in the same building.

The defibrilator question is a bit more of an issue, and there is an ongoing campagin for all defibrilators to be registered with the ambulance service, so that in the event of an incident, the public can be directed to the nearest one. There is however resistance from private owners, due to the usual concenrs about being sued if something goes wrong. 

mikecarr  
#5 Posted : 15 August 2018 09:45:12(UTC)
mikecarr

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Its each employer’s responsibility to ensure there is first aid provision (that does not mean their own employee necessarily). In such a set-up I would think it is best for there to be an agreement between all parties. Even if it is that they agree to do their own thing. Has someone put something in the lease agreement?

Chris

No they have not. They are just trying to get out of paying for anything. sort of leaves us stuck as we wouldn't ignore requests for first aid and they know that  

Kate  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2018 12:18:53(UTC)
Kate

The HSE line which I remember reading on their first aid pages when I was doing a first aid needs assessment is to the effect that you are only obliged to provide first aid to your employees, but they would like to think you wouldn't withhold first aid from anyone else who needs it such as members of the public.

I'll see if I can find to the link to what I'm thinking of.  Here it is: http://www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid/faqs.htm#first-aid-for-the-public

It sounds as if the tenants are taking advantage and making assumptions and some clear communication is needed to stop this.

Edited by user 15 August 2018 12:21:43(UTC)  | Reason: Added link

O'Donnell54548  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2018 07:37:46(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Where the building management group have a manned presence on site (i.e. reception/security etc) then it is not unusual for these to provide first aid arrangements for the building. If this is appropriate to your scenario then I would advise that you refer to the tenancy agreement to clarify the specific conditions for your building.

mikecarr  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2018 07:38:24(UTC)
mikecarr

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

The HSE line which I remember reading on their first aid pages when I was doing a first aid needs assessment is to the effect that you are only obliged to provide first aid to your employees, but they would like to think you wouldn't withhold first aid from anyone else who needs it such as members of the public.

I'll see if I can find to the link to what I'm thinking of.  Here it is: http://www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid/faqs.htm#first-aid-for-the-public

It sounds as if the tenants are taking advantage and making assumptions and some clear communication is needed to stop this.

Thanks Kate

I sent the FAW guidence to them yesterday so hopefully that might put them in the picture. 

chris42  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2018 08:13:25(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

I sent the FAW guidence to them yesterday so hopefully that might put them in the picture. 

I think I would have sent a bill for services provided (with a good bit added for the first aiders to have a party). I would also include a quote for how much this service will cost them over the next twelve months (which would be a serious amount more than them training their own people!).

To prove I could be just as cheeky as them :o)

Chris

O'Donnell54548  
#10 Posted : 16 August 2018 12:12:29(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

Hi team

I'm sure i know the answer to this one. We are the majority tennant/managing agent  for a mulit occupant building. We have a tenant that keeps calling us for first aid and now wants to know if we have a defib in the building

As far as I was aware it is each emplyers responsiblity to have their own first aiders?

Is this correct?

cheers!

Lets try to get this into context. Is their requests for first aid causing you an unacceptable problem? What is the frequency of these requests, and what sort of incidents are we talking about? What is the size of this tenants operation at the building you manage?

The answers you have recieved so far are typical of these forums (the law says this or that", the duty lies with them etc. etc.) How about for a change you do something radical and be a 'good neighbour' and do something not because you have to, but because you can. Why don't you approach this situation not as a confrontation with a shiftless, dodgy tenant who is trying to get something for nothing, but as an act that costs you little but repays you lots in knowing that you did something for someone without expecting something back in return.          

MikeKelly  
#11 Posted : 16 August 2018 13:21:53(UTC)
MikeKelly

Hi O'Donnell etc.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Why, for instance, don't the managing agents-[possibly also with responsibilities under sect 4 HSWA] provide a defib and any other foreseeable support for the rest of the tenants-good corporate citizens, eh?

Regards

Mike 

thanks 1 user thanked MikeKelly for this useful post.
O'Donnell54548 on 17/08/2018(UTC)