Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBBeacock  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2018 15:07:19(UTC)
NBBeacock

Not just because of todays events in London but has anyone got a written procedure for a terrorism/ bomb threat. We have a disaster plan which deals very comprehensivly with the aftermath of the above but we don't seem to have a procedure in place that would run somebody through what to do in the event of receiving a phone call of a bomb threat for example.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:16:18(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO) publish guidance on this issue see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bomb-threats-guidance/procedures-for-handling-bomb-threats . There are local Counter Terrorism Security Officers attached to each police force and they can supply local guidance. They an also assess the risk to your business. You, personally, can’t really assess the risks as the sources of information are secret and confidential.

The key things is to make sure everybody is aware of the risks and everybody knows what to do.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 15/08/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2018 07:56:57(UTC)
Mark-W

Having worked in this sphere for a couple of years. The first thing you need to do is ask yourself if you are a target. If not then carry on as normal.

If you think you could be a target then you need to mitigate the threat, use the Threat Traingle to see what the threat is.

Are you a target? Do you have large crowds of people? Are you a Govt organisation? Do you conduct any works that could be considered a reason to attack you.

Also put yourself into the terrorists shoes, if they attacked you, what do they hope to achieve? How will they achieve it? What are they going to use to achieve it.

If you answer all of these questions sensibly you can then formulate your action plan

Edited by user 20 August 2018 08:52:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 20/08/2018(UTC)
NBBeacock  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2018 08:33:26(UTC)
NBBeacock

Thanks for the help on this, I have received a lot of help and advice as well from NaCTSO. In the area that I work in Scunthorpe there have been a few bomb threats this year on industries such as British Steel, a kitchen manuafacturer, chicken factory and steel stock holder. We have been given access to ACT elearning and have rolled this out to key staff. I think we are a low level risk business but thought on balance of businesses in our area that have received threats some training was required. Should anyone else need any assisstance you can sign up for the free training at the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/national-counter-terrorism-security-office

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2018 08:37:54(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I think this response is slightly complacent.  If were a terrorist I would dearly love to attack a big prestige target, but as was shown by the recent attack on the Palace Of Westminster, such targets are well protected and any such attack would be a token gesture at most. Instead the terrorists are increasingly targeting “soft” targets such as the Ariana Grande concert attack in 2017. Who would have thought that a concert attended mainly by teenage girls could be the target of a suicide bomber?

We all need to be vigilant but must not go overboard either and see threats were they don’t exist. Its difficult balancing act: living our lives and going about our business as normal but being aware that the potential exist for thing to go wrong.

You cannot deal with specific threats but you need a plan which is flexible enough to deal with whatever situation might occur. For example you need to have a good idea when you should evacuate your premises totally (by that I mean everybody out and no going back in for maybe 24 hours) and when a lock down, where every stays in their rooms and hides until emergency services turn up, is appropriate.

Mark-W  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2018 09:21:38(UTC)
Mark-W

I'm assuming your referring to my response as complacent??

Your example is based on the notion of big international terror groups. Doesn't have to be. ALF are/were classed as a terror group and had their own MO for carrying out attacks and Westminster never featured on their target list.

As for young children being a target, that would of come up in the intelligence feed that a mass casualty scenario was the intended outcome. Look at the Madrid train bomb, the attacks in London, tube stations, buses etc. It might not always the target that is important it's the result and aftermath.

What was more effective from a terorists perspective, an undergound train bomb where few people get to see the result or a train in MAdrid or a bus in London. Very visual.

Even an attack on Westminster is good PR. Getting that close, through the supposed "Ring of SteeL" will still be classed as a success to the terror groups.

They have caused terror and panic. The IRA used this to good effect, they became at times the 10p terrorist. As that was the cost of a phonecall to say there was a bomb at........

nic168  
#7 Posted : 21 August 2018 08:07:45(UTC)
nic168

Mark is correct, the aim of the terrorist is to spread fear and panic. To disrupt and undermine business and people's lives.

Actual physical attacks are only part of the picture.

for those of us in "low Risk" occupations or areas, the threat implied in a phone call threatening to smash through the doors can cause an awful lot iof disruption and uncertainity, do this often enough varying the threat and timings and you can really damage business and people.

Does anyyone have a template for recording threatening phone calls that they would be prepared to share?

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
Mark-W on 29/08/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 21 August 2018 08:11:40(UTC)
A Kurdziel

jontyjohnston  
#9 Posted : 21 August 2018 12:20:14(UTC)
jontyjohnston

Folks

Having lived and worked in Northern Ireland / Ireland all my life I would have seen my fair share of such threats. I spent 17 years in power generation through arguably the work of the troubles and the stations security was comprehensive. I know work for the Irish national grid and own and operate a HV interconnector designated as ECI.

I have learned some key things in developing response plans than and since. A few included:

• Initial response to the threat is key - receptionist who has been trained in how to respond and who to notify.
  • Business response - could be one scenario of your BCP which you can then "safely" silo test.
  • Review your existing emergency response plans - many muster / assembly points are in car parks, easy place to put a bomb is in a car in proximity to a target.
  • Contact your local police and discuss threat level with them.
  • Keep things proportionate.

Just some thoughts

thanks 1 user thanked jontyjohnston for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 29/08/2018(UTC)