Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LyndseyFoster  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2018 10:29:49(UTC)
LyndseyFoster

Hi All,

Just wondering what was the best way, in your opinion , of getting hold of british standard documents- other than joinging BSI and paying the £99+

As time goes on i've found myself needing to refer to them more and more and we dont have any of them to hand in our company.

I know , if we join, we get a discount on documents - however, we are a small company and I fear that it will soon start eating into the budget if i go shopping for all the nice documents I might need :)

Does anyone have any other ideas, ie is it more effective to join something like Barbour and get access to standards that way?

Many Thanks

Edited by user 22 August 2018 10:36:19(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

SNS  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2018 10:32:37(UTC)
SNS

estonian standards, much less expensive for the same documents where they have them.

https://www.evs.ee/shop

Edited by user 22 August 2018 10:34:17(UTC)  | Reason: added link

SteveDClarke  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2018 14:45:34(UTC)
SteveDClarke

Hi I used to visit Liverpool City library where they had copies of all the BS engineering standards that I needed at the time, admittedly ten years ago; but I would have thought that all large city libraries would have copies.

Cheers

Steve

thanks 1 user thanked SteveDClarke for this useful post.
Thomo on 23/08/2018(UTC)
LyndseyFoster  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2018 09:53:02(UTC)
LyndseyFoster

Thanks for your comments guys,

Has anyone had any experience of using services like Barbour and did you get adequate access to standards with them?

Thanks

Lyndsey

Stuart Smiles  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2018 11:25:05(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

if you get a student from a local university they typically have access via the university's portal to bsi. 

they won't be able to use them for "commercial use" but if it's part of their studies /prject they are working on then they'd be able to get them, and you'd get help with the implementation etc. 

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2018 17:36:05(UTC)
Hsquared14

I've used Barbour and whilst it gives you access it is not as flexible as the standard itself. Any business that needs access to standards should budget for obtaining them in their operating cost. Yes they are expensive but you have to take that cost on the chin.
Zyggy  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2018 19:15:26(UTC)
Zyggy

Like Steve, my team & I joined the nearest main library & through them gained access to BS's as & when required. This worked very well over the years & saved a fortune!
fscott  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2018 08:25:19(UTC)
fscott

Manchester Library have online access to the collection if you only need to review the contents but this is read only

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/directory_record/162241/british_standards_online/category/1216/business_and_careers

thanks 1 user thanked fscott for this useful post.
MickD on 29/08/2018(UTC)
pseudonym  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2018 09:04:28(UTC)
pseudonym

Well Fscott - I guess that's Manchester University's server crashed for the rest of today .. ..

thanks 1 user thanked pseudonym for this useful post.
fscott on 04/09/2018(UTC)
Bigmac1  
#10 Posted : 31 August 2018 09:50:33(UTC)
Bigmac1

Just remember the standards are issued under licence, if your name aint on the bottom then you shouldnt be using it. The person whose name is on the bottom is in breach of the licence if shared.