Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smandeir  
#1 Posted : 23 August 2018 08:50:56(UTC)
smandeir

Late yesterday I was looking at a process where I work. I picked up a very small can of a substance I hadn't seen before.It was aerosol spray paint. The operator said he only used it maybe once a day just to cover a tiny spot of missing paint and said he never used a mask. I didn't think any more about it there and then.

When I came in this morning I decided to look at the MSDS for it and saw that it was H351 'suspected of causing cancer' contained isocyanates, and 'may produce an allergic re-action.'

It seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach to insist he wears a mask for it, but I don't want to find the poor guy or anyone else using it gets cancer.

I understand paint sprayers using isocyanate paints every day for most of the day need to be protected, but how likely is it realistically that he would get cancer  for such a minor amount of use?

Be good to know your thoughts....

rick448  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2018 08:57:42(UTC)
rick448

Would it be reasonably practicable to provide the user with a suitable level of RPE? Are there any WEL's assosaited with the substance, and do you know how much they are potentially exposed to?

Personally, I'd be looking to assess the risk as per COSHH, and put in place the necessary controls. It may only be a small exposure, but the consequences could be very high. 

Kate  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2018 09:01:56(UTC)
Kate

Before considering PPE you need to look at how exposure can be prevented.  For example, whether there is another process or material that can be used instead, and whether the task can be done under ventilation (if it is small parts then in a fume cupboard, for example).

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2018 09:47:58(UTC)
HSSnail

Even in the car spaying industry where this used to be a major problem, many companies are sourcing Isocyanate free paint – can you not substitute a different product (Hierarchy of controls)

smandeir  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2018 11:33:59(UTC)
smandeir

Thanks for all the thoughts folks!

PIKEMAN  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2018 13:03:20(UTC)
PIKEMAN

Record your findings in a formal COSHH assessment. Carcinogenic or Sensitising  substances have no safe level of exposure, although may have a WEL for various reasons. COSHH requires the "ALARP" approach  (reg 7 of COSHH). http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubnS/priced/l5.pdf  Think of it a bit like Asbestos; for these classes of subsances be extremely cautious.

Philip Rowlands  
#7 Posted : 30 August 2018 22:37:39(UTC)
Philip Rowlands

the HSE web page would probably be my first port of call http://www.hse.gov.uk/co...es/isocyanates.htm